Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
About the Role
The Data Science team leverages Gusto’s data to deliver data-informed insights for our customers and guide product direction and decision-making. We operate full-stack, conducting analyses, prototyping and deploying predictive models and statistical tools both for internal use and for our customers. Here are a few areas where we contribute today:
- Trust & Safety, Credit, and Fraud - our mission is to keep Gusto and our customers safe from bad actors, and we do that by building and deploying machine learning models to detect suspicious activity. We partner with Engineering, Risk Operations, and Product teams and strive to stay one step ahead in the game.
- Growth - We work with our Marketing, Sales and Growth teams to predict lead and customer value, make more intelligent sales decisions and provide upsell, cross-sell and feature recommendations.
- Great Places to Work - Gusto pays hundreds of thousands of employees as small businesses all over the US. We are working with our Product teams to leverage this valuable payroll, benefits and HR data to build features that help our customers build great places to work.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Build and deploy models and data products to support growth, prevent fraud, control risk and delight our customers.
- Enhance and contribute to the team’s core analysis and modeling systems and libraries
- Identify new opportunities to leverage data to improve Gusto’s products and help our business
- Present and communicate results to stakeholders across the company
Here’s what we're looking for:
- At least 5 years experience conducting statistical analyses on large datasets, ideally in a business context (can supplement with academic experience where appropriate)
- Experience applying a variety of statistical and modeling techniques using Python, R or another statistical modeling language, as indicated by familiarity with many of the following techniques - generalized linear modeling, regularization, ensemble models (e.g., random forest, gradient boosting), Bayesian analysis methods
- Strong programming skills - comfortable with all phases of the data science development process, from initial analysis and model development all the way through to deployment
- Excellent communication skills - able to effectively deliver findings and recommendations to non-technical stakeholders in a clear and compelling fashion
- PhD or Masters plus equivalent experience in a quantitative field
- Experience applying predictive modeling to fraud, trust & safety or growth problems is a plus.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $114,000-$150,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $138,000-$189,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.