Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy. Check out what it is like to Work with Gusto.
Our Segment I&O team is looking for a strategic, talented program manager to play a key role in acquisition activity that will accelerate our product and technology roadmap at Gusto. You will work at the intersection of product strategy, business operations, and go-to-market issues, paving a path to success for our acquisition targets. You’ll join a world-class Insights and Operations team, balancing strategy, operations, and special projects to create a world where work empowers a better life.
You have strong business acumen from a foundation in finance, operations, consulting, and/or program management. Your insights will enable us to 1) understand, diagnose and prepare for key strategy and operations hurdles to address ahead of each merger, 2) integrate new capabilities and leverage existing ones successfully and 3) internally, spearhead right-sized operations to track and improve execution.
We’ll count on you to dive deep to solve our hardest business problems -- from diagnosing integration risk areas to devising strategies to capture value to flexing into gnarly people issues with our cross-functional partners. You will work across functions, including Product, Engineering, Design, Finance, Data Science, Revenue, Customer Experience teams and more to better understand friction points in our business, solve them, and build a best-in-class integration. You will also zoom out broadly, deeply understanding the market and product strategy for Gusto and reflecting that back to leadership for roadmap decision-making.
Does this sound like you? Read on!
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Insights & Strategy
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to drive strategy, build business cases, implement operational processes, and enable Gusto to integrate new acquisition targets effectively, improving how we work along the way
- Provide input to our build, buy, partner strategy, and future deal and integration hypotheses.
- Due to the fast growing nature of Gusto, there are a lot of new fun problems to solve. You’ll help us do this with new companies we evaluate for acquisition, in close partnership with Finance, Corp Dev, People, I&O teams and more
- Program Management & Operations
- Build a best-in-class integration playbook: articulate integration theses, build the integration plan, tackle priorities with a broad set of stakeholders
- As deal flow changes, work with Corp Dev, Legal and deal teams to modulate project plans, priorities and stakeholders
- Influence internal stakeholders to achieve outsized results
- Document lessons learned from each acquisition process, from deal execution to integration plan design
- Pitch in to solve strategic considerations and issues you discover - help us learn and scale.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in analytical, operating roles at growing startups, product or biz ops roles, and/or finance, consulting with business problem solving training
- 2+ years of experience sourcing, executing, and/or integrating mergers, divestitures, or acquisitions
- Leaders who deeply understand the art and science of program management and business operations. No one is more organized, and juggling multiple work streams energizes you
- Communications expert: you’re comfortable developing and delivering verbal, written comms and messaging tailored for your audience - internal, external, executive, or peer
- Proven process improvement experience and love making things more efficient - arranging tough problems into digestible pieces is intuitive to you
- Grit, hustle, and ability to flex into problems at all altitudes - you collaborate as effectively with engineers as you do with exec leadership, expertly influencing outcomes at all levels within the organization
- Deep empathy and obsession for our small business customers
- A deep passion for helping people
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $152,000 to $192,000 for San Francisco & New York and $129,000 to $164,000 per year in Denver and most other locations in the US. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.