Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We are seeking a Policy Leader to join our Legal and Compliance team to support Gusto, focused on building and owning our public policy strategy and execution. This individual will support and grow our mission to create a world where work empowers a better life and to build a better ecosystem for small businesses and their employees.
In the role, you'll work closely with our cross-functional stakeholders, including Public Relations, Communications, People, Marketing, Data Science, and Product teams. We will be building on our success helping our small businesses thrive during the pandemic through the Paycheck Protection Program (and more), and you will be an integral part of our building long-term success for small businesses.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Own our external lobbying firms and relationships on the state and federal level
- Own and grow our external partnerships with nonprofit organizations, trade associations, and companies with aligned interests
- Develop expertise on Gusto policy issues and lead internal and external coalition groups to foster collaboration and feedback from cross-functional teams
- Monitor state and federal legislative and regulatory policy developments
- Study proposed state and federal legislation and regulation to determine the impacts on small businesses and consumers
- Develop policy recommendations and strategy
- Support our representation, inclusion, social impact, and equity goals
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- JD degree with 4+ years experience in public policy or advocacy experience in a legislative office, tech company, or nonprofit
- Bonus points if you have experience with policy issues related to small business, financial services, health insurance, or taxes
- Active license to practice law in California or New York, or ability to register in-house
- Attention to detail and the ability to follow through in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player mindset (no job is too big or too small).
- A collaborative approach and demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, cross-functionally, and independently.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $115,000 - $145,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $130,000 - $160,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.