Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We are seeking folks who are passionate about fighting fraud while delivering a world-class customer experience. As a Fraud Investigator on the Risk Operations team, you will act as a detective by deep diving into suspicious activity, understanding fraud trends at Gusto, fulfilling regulatory requirements, and be responsible for helping make Gusto the safest and most secure payroll solution.
Risk Operations is at the core of our business and our team is a key stakeholder in company decisions and operations. We currently process +$20bn of payroll annually, but with your help, we will process more in a safe and sustainable way. We are a small, close, fun group that works hard and laughs a lot. No egos here — we collaborate and help each other out in a positive environment.
What it is like to Work with Gusto
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Hunt fraudsters. You are our police force - prevent the bad guys from abusing our system by mitigating and investigating accounts with suspicious activity, write and file SARs (Suspicious Activity Reports), and lead the charge in asset recovery during fraud events.
- Solve puzzles. Fraud is a complicated puzzle to solve. Come up with innovative methods to identify trends, patterns, and ultimately, catch the bad guys. Be an subject matter expert (SME) in account takeover (ATO) fraud and device fingerprinting.
- Operate cutting-edge tools. Scope and drive continual enhancements to our systems and processes to identify and eliminate fraudulent activity.
- Work closely with key stakeholders. Work cross-functionally with internal teams, our customers, and external partners (including banks, law enforcement, etc.)
- Providing support. Work closely with our Financial Crimes Operations (FCO) team and act as a support by investigating complex and suspcious activity, providing guidance and identifying fraud trends. In addition, supporting our AML/BSA team as a law enforcement point of contact and providing documentation on subpoena requests.
- Problem Solve: Support the Risk team through documentation and dissemination of fraud trends, updates to workflows, changes to policies, etc.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Experience. 3+ years of experience in fraud prevention, detection and/or investigation with experience in SAR (Suspicious Activity Reports) writing and filing. Bonus if in the banking or payments industry and have an understanding of account takeover and device fingerprinting.
- Thought Process. An insatiable appetite for problem solving, knack for structured thinking, ability to spot unusual patterns, and sharp attention to detail.
- Values. Driven by a strong moral compass, is objective yet compassionate, and does the right thing every time.
- Discipline. Excellent time management skills and ability to handle multiple projects/tasks simultaneously. Is extremely process and policy oriented. Ability to navigate different computer systems and applications.
- Attitude. Goal-oriented, positive, and proactive. Comfortable in a fast-paced, results-oriented work environment. Communicates well with others.
- Background. Minimum four year accredited university/college degree.
- Software Skills. Microsoft Excel spreadsheets experience importing, exporting, and manipulating data & Advanced Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) skills
Brownie points for:
- Professional certifications (CFE)
- Payroll industry experience
- Professional Tech experience
- Working knowledge of SQL
- Proficient in Excel
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $56,000 - $82,500 in Denver & most remote locations, and $70,000 - $99,500 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.