We’re looking for software engineers passionate about APIs and building for other developers to come join Gusto and help us extend our product, continuing our mission to create a world where work empowers a better life.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
As a Full-Stack engineer, you will design and build platforms and services that are configurable and scalable. You will partner with many functions at Gusto, with the opportunity to both work on infrastructure/platform systems, as well as produce direct user-facing business impact.
We’re looking for people with a background in designing and building config-driven and scalable distributed systems and data pipelines for Taxes, Payroll, and Benefits. You’re comfortable in dealing with multiple moving pieces and effectively working cross-team and cross-functional collaborations. You’re looking forward to learning new technologies, systems, and problem domains. This role is critical not only for Gusto but for the future of Payroll as a Service.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Design, build, and maintain large-scale services, job pipelines and systems across Gusto’s engineering teams
- Work cross-functionally with many teams: Engineering, product, technical operations, Data Science, Finance, Accounting, etc.
- Work on systems critical to Gusto's future operation, with impact over millions of dollars of payments volume.
- Deeply understand the plumbing of modern payroll and financial technology.
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Have delivered production systems of big scale and have experience of maintenance
- Have +4-years experience working with distributed teams and 3rd party technologies
- Write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, and React. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
You’re not expected to have expertise across all of these areas! We have wonderful team members who focus on our customers’ needs and build amazing user experiences.
At Gusto, we strive to provide rewards that empower employees to achieve their financial and personal goals. We offer competitive compensation packages with a strong emphasis on equity based compensation (ownership in Gusto). To learn more about Gusto’s compensation philosophy and benefits offerings please view our Total Rewards Approach page.
Our cash compensation range for this role is $100,000/yr to $219,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $122,000/yr to $240,000/yr in San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
#LI - Remote