Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Gusto is looking for an experienced data science leader to head our Employer Growth Data Science team. The Employer Growth team focuses on both growing our customer base of over 100,000 small businesses and ensuring these businesses are successful at engaging with Gusto’s full suite of offerings. In this role you will lead a team of data scientists conducting experiments, advanced analytics and building machine learning solutions to support and augment Gusto’s growth. You will also partner closely with our Employer Growth team - including engineers, product managers, designers, marketers and sales leaders.
The Data Science team leverages Gusto’s data to deliver data-informed insights for our customers and guide product direction and decision-making. We operate full-stack, conducting analyses, prototyping and deploying predictive models and statistical tools both for internal use and for our customers.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day
- Lead Gusto’s Employer Growth data science team - recruit, hire, empower and coach a team of data scientists working to grow Gusto’s customer base and drive customer engagement, retention and revenue.
- Partner with Marketing, Product, and Sales to drive data efforts for all Growth workstreams, using all of the tools in our data science toolkit - forecasting lead and customer value, personalizing and targeting in our onboarding experience, recommending features and product experiences, and experimenting across all Growth areas.
- Work with our engineering and systems counterparts to develop and deploy critical technology for driving growth, such as audience segmentation, communications platforms, experimentation frameworks, etc.
- Identify new opportunities to leverage data to improve Gusto’s products and help our business
- Present and communicate results to stakeholders across the company
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 8+ years of data science experience, with 3+ years leading a data science team
- Very strong communication and cross-functional partnership skills
- Able to lead both analytical and machine learning/algorithmic data scientists and work streams - we have both on this team!
- Strong programming skills - comfortable with all phases of the data science development process, from initial analysis and model development all the way through to deployment
- Experience applying advanced statistical and modeling techniques to solve business problems
- Excellent communication skills - able to effectively deliver findings and recommendations to non-technical stakeholders in a clear and compelling fashion
- Experience solving growth problems at consumer or SMB technology companies a plus
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $158,000 - $190,000 year in Denver & most remote locations, and $186,000 - $230,000 year for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 100,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco, Denver, and New York, and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.