Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
By growing Gusto, you will help create a world where work empowers a better life, changing the way small businesses take care of their teams with modern payroll, benefits, and expert HR. You will create and lead our platform marketing practice and team, building a new business within Gusto. You will the first marketer and leader to devise, build, and market Gusto’s platform business to partners and developers. You will co-own responsibility for growing a new revenue business over the next 4 years. You will oversee all aspects of platform marketing, including building the Gusto brand, business development marketing, marketing through partners, co-marketing with partners, and developer marketing. You’ll own financial goals and tactical plans.
To start, you will be responsible for incubating and directly performing a broad variety of marketing strategy and tactics and will be very hands on, however over time you will hire and build a high performing team.
To date, Gusto’s platform has been integrated with and through partners in limited ways. Platform partners will be key to Gusto’s growth, allowing us to bring our people platform to 000k more businesses than we serve directly. This role will create our first strategic, and eventually, full-stack marketing team dedicated to our platform initiatives. In the meantime, you will build a dedicated team that will be supported with horizontal resources within Gusto’s marketing organization. You’ll devise strategies, plans, budgets, and be accountable for impact alongside them, so influential leadership will be key. You’ll be directly empowered by our chief marketing officer.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
Build platform marketing
- Partner with head of platform engineering and head of platform and partnerships business unit to devise market-driven strategies for how we build, sell, negotiate, and promote
- Translate platform strategy to marketing strategy, initiatives, and tactics
- Own platform marketing strategy, planning, forecasting, and budget management
- Own market research, strategy, positioning for platforms and developers
Optimize Gusto’s owned, earned, and paid properties and campaigns to increase awareness and consideration for prospective platform and developer customers
- Offering and distribution
- Help develop pricing, economics, and promotional offer strategies
- Own the marketing calendar, identifying and marshalling internal and external resources to maximize growth
- Brand strategy and positioning
- Develop and drive brand strategy for our platform offering
- Lead content and enablement marketing, developing both programmatic and customized programs
Market Gusto through platforms
Partner distribution marketing
- Negotiation - design deal terms that will maximize benefit for platform partners, their customers, and Gusto by researching and identifying methods by which platform partners can market and sell Gusto’s offering to their prospects and customers.
- Acquisition - support marketing and selling of Gusto at platform partner companies.
- Engagement - support adoption, utilization, and satisfaction of Gusto functionality by platform partner companies.
- Run disciplined co-marketing initiatives that build value for both partners and Gusto or support strategic relationships
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Work on API products or services
- Hands on experience
- 12+ years of experience, 3+ years running marketing or business growth strategies and programs of significant scale (e.g. >$100M in annual revenue), and launching and scaling products or markets
- Experience building and managing high performance teams across multiple marketing disciplines
- Experience launching and scaling products, channels, or markets
- Full-stack marketing acumen including operations and finance
- An influencer that can work well with various groups and levels of the organization, particularly CRO, COO and CFO
- A strong communicator (both written and verbal)
- Passionate about Gusto’s mission and the impact we can have on the world
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $162,000-$201,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $200,000-$233,000yr for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.