Gusto is looking for a Head of Product Design to build and lead our world-class design team while driving impact at the business- and company-level.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
About this Role
We’re looking for an experienced Head of Product Design to lead our Product Design organization at Gusto. In this role, you’ll empower the leaders of Gusto’s Product Design team and be a part of Gusto’s leadership team, working to build and deliver world-class products to our customers.
Gusto’s design team is one of the secret ingredients that makes our product special. Along with our Product Management and Product Engineering teams (collectively called EPD), Gusto’s design team brings our product vision to life, creating intuitive designs and launching meaningful experiences for our customers.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead an organization of 35+ exceptional product design professionals, ranging from UX Researchers to Product Designers, Design Systems, Writers, and Design Operations specialists
- Coach, mentor, and empower senior design leaders across our Core Products, Benefits, and Design Foundation teams
- Build and scale our design teams as we continue to grow and build the next generation of Gusto’s design craft
- Collaborate closely with our leadership in our Product Management and Engineering teams to define, plan, and prioritize our product roadmap
- Work together with cross-functional leadership across the company to tie business and company goals back into the design organization, serving as one of Gusto’s most senior leaders
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 10+ years experience in design leadership, building opinionated products that customers love, with a passion for Design and craftsmanship as a means to help others
- Experience scaling diverse design teams through ambitious product and business milestones
- Experience managing design leaders, including managers of managers
- Structured, thorough, and methodical in your approach to leading large organizations
- Passion for building holistic design systems, and for craftsmanship through writing, visual and interaction design.
- You care deeply about the people in your team, helping them to achieve their personal and professional goals, and enabling them to do the best work of their lives.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.