Gusto is looking for a strong software engineer to join our Data Platform team.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Foundation Engineering at Gusto is a small but growing engineering team that empowers the 100+ engineers at Gusto. Gusto product engineers move tens of billions of our customers’ dollars every year and the Foundation Engineering team helps them work efficiently, securely, and enjoyably.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Be an owner as you architect, build, and refine our data infrastructure technologies, using our development workflow — the outcome of your work will drive decisions that affect billions of dollars of transactions
- Build and refine a fault-tolerant data ingestion pipeline into our data warehouse, while helping guide the decisions about the future of our data infrastructure
- Work with engineers and product managers to analyze edge cases, clear ambiguities, and plan for architectural scalability
- Write complex and efficient queries to transform raw data sources into easily accessible models for our teams (e.g., Product, Growth, Finance, Risk)
- Care deeply about helping millions of small business owners focus on what they love
- Be surrounded by people who are doing the best work of their lives and loving every moment of it
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- At least 5 years of software engineering experience (Python, Ruby or Java).
- Passion for creating data infrastructure technologies from scratch using the right tools for the job
- Experience with AWS tools
- Experience building out data pipelines, efficient ETL design, implementation, and maintenance
- Experience building and maintaining a data warehouse in production environments
- Experience with systems for transforming large datasets such as Spark and Hadoop
- Ability to turn vague requirements into clear deliverables with minimal guidance
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $120,000-$137,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $155,000-$178,000/yr for San Francisco. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Learn more about the team:
- Our Engineering Culture and Values
- How We Built a Service-Driven Team
- Our Diversity Goals and Efforts
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.