We are seeking an experienced Product Counsel to join our Legal and Compliance team.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We are seeking a Head of Product and Commercial, Legal to join our Legal and Compliance team in New York. We are growing our team to meet the expanding needs of our company and our customers. Product and commercial legal work will be an integral part of meeting those needs! This position empowers our product and commercial teams and will partner closely with our compliance team. You will be advising and working collaboratively with our product, engineering, business, business development, sales and marketing teams to support our emerging business.
We are passionate about using innovative technology and excellent service to elevate the experience of small business owners and their employees. Each team member is a true owner and makes a tremendous impact every day. You shine in a fast-paced environment and thrive on the success of a job well done.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Navigate complex regulatory frameworks to design innovative products and services.
- Help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products.
- Counsel the product, engineering, and design teams on a range of issues including regulatory, consumer protection, in-bound licensing, marketing, intellectual property, and data privacy.
- Counsel on commercial and business relationships, including structuring, drafting, negotiating transactions and contracts with business development and other teams
- Counsel on IP issues, including in business agreements, licensing agreements, products, and marketing.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive IP strategy for the company.
- Counsel the business and product, security teams on privacy and data protection-related issues.
- Partner with marketing content teams to ensure our small-business guidance is consistent with applicable laws and regulations and industry best practices.
- Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as they plan, build, and execute on their product roadmap.
- Enable new business models, sales relationships, and other strategic partnerships to help grow our business.
- Counsel the team on drafting and maintaining license agreements, services agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- JD degree with 8+ years of combined relevant legal experience in a law firm and an in-house legal department with a technology company.
- State bar/ active license to practice law in New York
- Experience enabling the launches of innovative products and services, including in regulated industries such as healthcare, financial services, insurance, payroll, etc.
- Experience advising on product partnerships operating in a regulated industry.
- Experience structuring, drafting and negotiating contracts and complex transactions.
- Experience developing different types of business development and partnership agreements.
- Broad legal knowledge that enables you to spot and resolve a variety of legal issues across multiple jurisdictions (e.g., regulatory, contract, IP, privacy, consumer protection).
- Experience creatively solving problems, taking into account legal risk and business needs.
- Attention to detail and the ability to follow through in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player mindset (no job is too big or too small).
- A collaborative approach and demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, cross-functionally, and independently.
- Experience scaling legal processes and leading teams with a global company is highly desired.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $215,000-$242,500/year for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.