Gusto is looking for an experienced Design Manager to join our Product Design team. We’re looking for someone who’s equally interested in building a thriving team and a thoughtfully designed product.
As a Product Design Manager, you’ll be managing a small team of designers, working on our core product. This is a player-coach role where your responsibilities will include both people management and product design. You’ll be involved in the entire product development process from strategic planning and visioning to end-to-end thinking, creating intuitive designs and launching meaningful experiences.
Our Product Design team helps small business owners run their companies and take care of their teams--a job that's more important now than ever. We design a product that's powerful enough to handle complex tasks like payroll, taxes, and benefits, while being easy (and sometimes even fun) to use. We work with incredible customers who appreciate what we build for them and give us actionable feedback in our UXR interviews.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Coach, manage, and grow a team of 5 designers
- Provide design feedback that advocates for users and pushes the quality bar
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions around product design and development
- With your team, identify, understand, and solve complex problems to address user needs
- Partner with PM and Engineer Leads to create products from concept to launch
- Make the product vision come to life through strategic thinking and compelling storytelling
Here’s what we're looking for:
- An experienced Design Manager, who cares about their people
- Interest in a combination of people management and contributing as an IC designer
- Strong design background, with a track record of shipping high quality products
- Ability to work through complex user problems to arrive at elegant, simple solutions
- Experience balancing long-term design goals with a quick, iterative development process
- Strategic thinker who has experience working at different altitudes, across the entire customer journey
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.