Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Gusto is looking for an ambitious mid- or early-career product analyst with a solid grounding in statistics and data science and at least a few years experience applying this knowledge in a business environment. In this role you will work closely with other members of our Data Science team, as well as our Engineering, Product and Design teams to define and track product metrics, design customer-facing experiments and dive deep into our Payroll, Benefits and HR data to deliver insights.
Gusto’s Data Science team leverages Gusto’s data to deliver data-informed insights for our customers and guide product direction and decision-making. We operate full-stack, working closely with product managers to apply data insights to strategy and product decisions, conducting analyses, prototyping and deploying predictive models and statistical tools both for internal use and for our customers.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Work closely with product groups to define, measure and report on core product and feature metrics, and to define standards and practices for how product groups work with data
- Perform in-depth analyses of our Payroll, Benefits and HR product data to inform and guide product direction and strategy
- Design and analyze customer-facing experiments
- Work with our business intelligence teams to turn your insights and analyses into clean and consistent reporting
- Be a strong voice for a data-informed point of view within our engineering, product and design organization
- Collaborate with UX research to design surveys and provide quantitative insights on customer experience
Here’s what we're looking for:
- At least 2 years experience in a similar role, ideally at a product-focused software company
- Strong SQL skills, and comfortable in at least one scripting or statistical programming language (ideally Python and/or R)
- Strong knowledge of statistics and experiment design and ability to apply these to conducting and interpreting analyses, data visualization, presentation and recommendations
- Excellent communicator - able to effectively deliver findings and recommendations to non-technical stakeholders in a clear and compelling fashion
- Passionate about teaching and evangelizing a data-informed approach to product development to product managers, designers and engineers
- MS or PhD in a quantitative field + at least 1-2 years experience in a business environment, or BS or Data Science Bootcamp graduate + equivalent experience in a business setting considered
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $94,000-$135,000/year in Denver & most remote locations, and $117,000-$165,000/year for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 100,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco, Denver, and New York, and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.