Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. Our product aims to enable businesses of all sizes to create great places to work -- where employers and employees prosper together. We do this by rethinking employee work experiences from the ground up, from employee onboarding and welcome, to getting paid, benefits, performance reviews, and more.
Our values guide all aspects of how we run the company and we are committed to not just building a great company, but also doing it in a way that we're proud of (and according to our beliefs). It's a tremendously exciting time at Gusto, and we're at an inflection point in the business (growing from ~6,000 customers at the end of 2014 to 40,000+ customers today). We’ve done this with a product that customers absolutely love.
We're fortunate to be in a market and position where the problem we're solving applies to all businesses, of every size, everywhere in the world, and has a direct impact on the individual employee as well as the business owner. Gusto has raised more than $150mm from Google Capital, Kleiner Perkins, and General Catalyst, as well as the CEOs/Founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Mint, Shopify, Yahoo, Thumbtack, Dropbox, and Eventbrite.
Design is at the center of everything we do in Gusto and is one of our key differentiators. We have a world-class design team that has built exceptional user experiences that our customers absolutely love (check out our Twitter wall of love, link here).
Role & Responsibilities
- Be ultimately responsible for all user experiences in Gusto
- Establish and grow a strong design culture powered by empathy, enthusiasm and creativity
- Focus on building a world-class team and scaling processes to showcase not only thorough design thinking, but also beautiful design
- Recruit, mentor and scale a team of design leads and product designers who code across multiple projects and disciplines
- Work closely with Engineering and Product leadership in building the best experiences to keep customers highly engaged, fully informed, and constantly delighted
- Represent Gusto’s design culture and philosophy internally and externally
- Create systems and processes to ensure design consistency and quality across everything Gusto builds
- Appropriately prioritize and guide new projects based on company goals and business objectives
- Plan and be accountable for the Design team’s P&L
Attributes & Profile
- Extremely organized and consistently advocates for design methodologies and processes
- Cares deeply about technical, scalable, and user-centric models of building things
- Unafraid to revamp a user flow based on to new information or a shift in customer behavior
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, with an entrepreneurial ownership mentality
- Humble spirit
- Has genuine empathy for small business owners and employees and a deep desire to improve their lives!
- 10+ years of experience in software product design for a complex product
- Has led and hired a team of 15+ product designers, including design managers
- Inspirational thought leader to designers and emerging talent
- Sought-after mentor to designers and members from other teams
- Has owned product design end-to-end for multiple successful products at scale
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 40,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.