Gusto reimagines payroll, benefits, HR, and personal finance by automating the most complicated, impersonal business tasks and making them simple, delightful, and human. Our products are loved by over 100,000 small businesses across the US, and we’re just getting started. We have ambitious plans to scale to millions of businesses while expanding the value that we bring to them, and we’re seeking a strong UX Researcher to drive initiatives that span multiple time horizons to get us there.
Design and user experience is at the center of everything we do in Gusto and is one of our key differentiators. We are a customer-obsessed company, and we believe that everyone who is involved in product development should deeply understand the needs and experiences of our customers. As the Principal UX Researcher, you’ll have the unique opportunity to drive and implement foundational research programs, connect the business strategy and customer insights, and create exceptional products that our customers and internal teams will love and will set the bar for the industry. You will also work closely with our Head of Product Design and cross-functional leadership to amplify our customer centricity and evolve the business & product strategy for Gusto as a whole.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Develop strategic research roadmap to identify and answer the most critical questions about our customers in partnership with product and design leadership and cross-functional stakeholders.
- Synthesize/analyze data and findings, developing actionable insights, outputs and frameworks for both short term and long term research needs.
- Design compelling and digestible deliverables, focused on visually telling the story and highlighting important insights for longevity.
- Evaluate and experiment with new and emerging methods and technologies, and identify if and how to incorporate them into the team’s toolkit.
- Coach cross-functional partners as they craft their approach to the challenge at hand. Optimize for helping them deliver credible, actionable insights which drive confident, bold, customer-focused business & design decisions.
- Work with our UX Research Operations team to identify opportunities & process for teams to partner up on research, and to shape Gusto’s research practices from the ground up.
- Collaborate closely with other research and user engagement functions (Data Science, Marketing, Customer Experience, and Sales) to Identify leading-edge customer behaviors, attitudes, expectations, and values, and uncover new experience opportunities.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 8+ years of proven success leading user research projects with demonstrated business impact.
- Expert knowledge about quantitative and qualitative research methodologies, techniques for synthesis, and testing tools.
- Independent, proactive problem-solver who can adapt to changing priorities while staying in sync with multiple stakeholders.
- Open to trying new ways of working and teaching the broader organization how to integrate research into our daily activities.
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Eagerness to continually learn, grow and improve the craft of research.
- Genuine empathy for small business owners and employees and a deep desire to improve their lives.
Bonus points for:
- Success with UX research in B2B & regulated industries.
- Strong quantitative data analysis chops.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.