Come put your employment law skills to use at a place where people come first - we are a “people platform,” after all! Are you interested in a fast-paced and diverse employment law gig that puts you in the mix of company-wide policy creation, product counseling, and ultimately driving our people-centric business? Are you excited by the prospect of a fast-growing company where you can bet your career? Are you mission-first and want to spend your working hours at a place where work empowers a better life for our internal “Gusties” and our small business customers alike? Join us at Gusto in a pivotal role for our legal and compliance team as Employment Counsel!
We are looking for an experienced Employment Counsel to join our legal and compliance team. The Employment Counsel will be responsible for (i) advising internal teams on Gusto’s employment practices and policies, (ii) addressing internal stakeholders on employment law questions, (iii) working with our product teams to envision and develop the HR technology of the future, and (iv) serving as the face of Gusto to our small business customers looking for guidance on employment law questions. Our ideal Employment Counsel will be deep into the latest trends in employment law and will provide an upleveling to our existing approaches to HR products and practices. The Employment Counsel must be willing to wear many hats and work cross-functionally with a large number of Gusto teams. Stakeholder engagement and communication skills, presence, influence, patience, a sense of humor and a go-getter operational attitude are all a plus.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Advise on a broad range of internal employment law matters, including recruiting, hiring, training, employee relations, performance management, diversity and belonging initiatives, compensation, leave of absence and accommodations, wage and hour, benefits, and terminations.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of internal employment documents, including employment contracts, restrictive covenant agreements, assignment letters, separation agreements, and internal policies and handbooks, and manage and update template documents regarding the same.
- Review and respond to internal claims, demand letters, audits, and other employment-related inquiries or litigation matters.
- Be a key partner to our People team in developing internal People policies, processes, practices and strategies while also serving as a key subject matter expert to the People team.
- Advise our product teams on creating the best external HR product (our “people platform”) for our small business customers, including by reviewing product plans, working with product developers and engineers and providing insight on a variety of HR matters that impact our product offerings and marketing materials.
- Work directly with product teams to ensure regulatory compliance and periodically assess existing external products and operations for compliance with updated laws and best practices.
- Review external communications to customers both within and outside product to ensure best practice with employment law standards.
- Author articles and blog posts about employment law topics if and as requested by marketing and product teams for external resources aimed at our existing and new small business customers.
- Conceptualize and feature in external informational videos about HR topics relevant to existing and new small business customers.
- Review external HR marketing content for accuracy and compliance.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Relevant experience at a law firm or in-house at a technology company (ideally, a combination of both!).
- A passion for all things people, and mission alignment that people are the integral building block to all businesses.
- Proven ability to balance and prioritize delivery on a multitude of projects at once.
- Practical and sound business and legal judgement.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public-speaking abilities and experience working with and influencing diverse stakeholders and teams.
- Strong track record of partnership with the People function to create world-class HR systems and programs
- J.D. and bar passage in either CA or CO are required.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.