We’re looking for talented and motivated growth engineers with 5+ years of experience. Our engineers own entire features in our system. You'll influence the initial specs for the feature, build/modify the backend APIs (mostly Rails), write the front-end code that consumes said APIs (mostly React.js), and be responsible for ongoing improvements once the feature is deployed.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Combine your engineering skills with an entrepreneurial mindset to find new and innovative ways to bring users onto the Gusto platform
- Participate in weekly brainstorming and impact analysis to ensure we’re working on the right things
- Use data to concretely understand the impact of your work in the form of experiment results and team-level user acquisition metrics
- Develop and manage engineering-led user acquisition channels like our Referrals Program to generate millions of dollars in new revenue per year
- Collaborate closely with our Marketing and Design teams on cross-functional projects to refine Gusto’s brand and improve ease of signup for our users
- Mentor engineers on the team, as well as participate in interviews
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- At least 5 years of full-stack software engineering experience
- Strong communication skills. Enjoys collaborating with non-technical partner teams
- Comfortable working on a mix of open ended experiment ideas and projects with detailed specifications. Great at identifying edge cases
- Always ready to explore new tools, libraries, and vendors. Not afraid to ask questions. Willing to learn what you don’t already know
- Experience with ES6, Ruby/Rails or similar (Django, Express, Play, etc.), and React or similar (Backbone, Angular, Ember, Vue, etc.)
- Experience working on Growth Engineering at another company
- Experience with event analytics (Amplitude, Mixpanel, Kissmetrics, etc.) and experimentation (A/B, multivariate)
- Comfortable working with data and digging into numbers to find issues and insights.
- Loves thinking outside the box to come up with creative growth projects
Learn more about the team:
- Our Engineering Culture and Values
- How We Built a Service-Driven Team
- Our Diversity Goals and Efforts
Our customers come from all walks of life, and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.