Application Process & Timing
The application deadline is at 11:59PM EST on August 14th, 2020. Applicants will be notified via email of our decision by August 21st.
Applicants that meet our criteria will receive a take home assessment to be completed within two weeks of its receipt. Our goal is to measure your critical thinking and problem solving skills with a mix of programming concepts and scenario based questions that are adjacent to the field of software engineering.
Candidates that perform well on the assessment will be invited to attend our final remote round of interviews that will be held the week of September 17th. Once interviews are completed we will extend offers to two candidates for our fall apprenticeship that will be beginning on October 5th, 2020.
There are few professions where you can bootstrap your own education and enter an incredibly rewarding field. From online courses to software engineering bootcamps the paths to acquiring the foundational knowledge needed to enter the field of software engineering has become increasingly streamlined. The sheer amount of resources and tutorials available online can make the decision of where to start very difficult. Also, one of the most complicated parts of landing your first job in tech is overcoming the hurdle of “How do I get experience if no one is willing to hire me?”
Guru’s paid 90-day apprentice program seeks to address this problem head on. One of Guru’s core values is “Embrace the Journey” and aligns with our goal to be intentional about the work that we do. Our program provides a unique opportunity that is customized to the individual skill levels that our apprentices bring to Guru on day one. We realize there is no one size fits all approach to acquire all of the technical skills required to be successful on the job. Apprentices can choose from one of two tracks: either front end or back end engineering.
Much like apprenticeships found in other trades you will have the opportunity to spend time shadowing and pair programming with our engineering team, learn best practices and the tools used in building software, and work on features that will be used by our customers. Aside from learning technical skills, you will gain first hand experience on how to navigate technical job interviews as well as how to effectively market yourself with the skills you learned as an apprentice at Guru.
Given health and safety concerns due to COVID-19 the apprenticeship will be fully remote. Apprentices are expected to work thirty to forty hours per week. We understand that due to quarantine many are balancing their families and other responsibilities. Once an offer is made we will work with you to outline a schedule that is best suited for you.
What We're Looking For:
- Candidates with zero to less than six months of professional software engineering experience
- Great communication skills, a positive demeanor, and someone not afraid to ask questions
- Must be passionate about technology
- Self-awareness and a commitment to continual improvement
- Willingness to accept constructive feedback on your code
- Someone that doesn't take themselves too seriously
What You'll Learn:
- Version control with Git
- Backend Track: Java, Postgres, Spring, JUnit, Mockito
- Debug issues and address performance bottlenecks
- How to conform to modern best practices and coding standards
- Unit and integration testing
- Project scoping and estimation
- How to effectively use technical documentation
Benefits to you:
- Competitive pay!
- Company provided Macbook Pro and supporting peripherals to ensure you can effectively work remotely
- One-on-one mentorship from our experienced engineering team
- Directly experience the full product delivery lifecycle to see how features go from ideas to products used by our customers
- Resume prep and career guidance from our talent acquisition team
Guru is a dynamic, fast-growing start-up in Philadelphia and San Francisco. Our mission is to reinvent the way people connect with meaningful information at work. Guru’s knowledge management solution provides customer-facing teams access to expert-verified information where they work and when they need it most. We believe in cultivating a welcoming, inclusive culture that encourages personal growth through working hard and having fun.
Launched in September 2015, our vision is backed by an amazing group of investors including FirstMark Capital, Salesforce, Michael Dell, the Slack Fund, and Emergence Capital. As we enter the next exciting stage of expansion, we're searching for passionate individuals to join our rapidly growing team.
This is a full-time opportunity located in our Philadelphia office. Re-location and/or Visa Sponsorship is not included in our hiring package. Applicants will need to be authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.