As a Director of Product Design & Experience at Guru, you will work directly with cross-functional product leaders to guide the product strategy, roadmap, and end-to-end user journey for our core user experience through user research, data analysis, design thinking, and experimentation. As the design leader for our core product, you will be responsible for leading the team that shapes our product vision while driving and inspiring the execution of a user experience that engages, delights our customers, and supports our goals around growth.
You will be responsible for the development and success of your designers within the leveling up of their skills and providing mentorship that helps them to learn and grow in their careers.
The more complex the challenge, the more comfortable you are. You are a creative leader who is genuinely empathetic and constantly curious, with a keen ability to identify and frame problems in a way that brings out the best in those around you.
- Crafting the vision for our product experience, informed with insights and opportunities, through collaboration with your cross-functional peers across product development and go-to-market teams.
- Leading design reviews, critiques, and ideation sessions for concepts that test hypotheses driven by user feedback, design principles, and business objectives.
- Provide a creative vision, not just for the members of your design team, but for the broader organization of product contributors and partners.
- Establishing, improving, and documenting the processes and practices for realizing that vision, and setting the bar for our user experience.
- Contribute to the team’s cultural values, while demonstrating them every day through your actions.
- Spend time with customers, prospects, and partners to understand how we can help them achieve their business objectives.
- Understand Guru’s market, as well as familiar patterns and behaviors of best-in-class experiences that can inspire our own.
- You’ll manage hiring, onboarding and improving the design team’s output, culture, and processes.
- Move quickly and ship experiments regularly. Always learning.
- You raise the design bar by helping to level up skills across all of Product Design and giving direction to the designers within your team, helping them when they’re stuck, celebrating their achievements, and navigating difficult conversations when the need arises.
- You spend time providing leadership and mentorship to designers and recommend new methodologies and approaches for design.
- You can propose new, high-impact product initiatives and align the design team around a vision and approach, all while taking into account the capabilities and limitations of our product.
- You lead through ambiguity – collaborating with engineers, executive leadership, analytics, research and customer-facing teams in a continuous-delivery environment.
- You embody design quality, understand what success looks like for Guru, and know how to shepherd execution to launch impactful and delightful experience change.
- You regularly make use of your soft skills to persuade and build alignment; always listening, questioning everything, challenging convention, building consensus and making decisions.
- When and if the time arrives, you are fully capable of rolling up your sleeves, hopping into design tools and contributing to the output
- Reporting directly to the VP of Product and establishing a maintaining a strong strategic partnership with both your cross-functional Pillar leaders and any Design Director peers on other Pillars.
- Proficiency with Figma, Sketch, InVision or similar programs
- Flexible & comfortable with ambiguity & change during a project cycle
- Proactive and articulate communicator
- Great teammate across all levels of the organization
- Thorough attention to detail and consistency
You’ll Know You’re a Good Fit if
- You embody our Product Design Team’s Core Values.
- You have proven success shipping best-in-class product features collaboratively alongside a cross-functional Product Team (Design, Product Management, Engineering, Data Science, Product Marketing, etc).
- You are inspired by impacting people and giving them what they need to be successful.
- You are comfortable taking charge and leading discussions when need be.
- You communicate across departments fluently, and can clearly understand, articulate and establish programs.
- You’re a metrics aficionado, knowing how to use data to shape the future of the product, but also understand its limits.
- You understand what tools are needed to solve a giant problem – and are ready to build your own if that’s what it takes.
Benefits to you:
- Competitive salary
- Employee Stock Option Plan
- Generous benefits package
- Professional Development & Wellness Allowance
- The chance to contribute to an upbeat, fully engaged culture
Guru is a dynamic, fast growing start-up based in Philadelphia and San Francisco. Our mission is to reinvent the way people connect with meaningful information at work. Guru’s knowledge management solution provides customer-facing teams access to expert-verified information where they work and when they need it most. We believe in cultivating a welcoming, inclusive culture that encourages personal growth through working hard and having fun.
Launched in September 2015, our vision is backed by an amazing group of investors including FirstMark Capital, Salesforce, Michael Dell, the Slack Fund, Emergence Capital, Thrive Capital and Accel. As we enter the next exciting stage of expansion, we're searching for passionate individuals to join our rapidly growing team.
This is a full-time position that can be based out of our Philadelphia or San Francisco. Re-location and/or Visa Sponsorship is not included in our hiring package. Applicants will need to be authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. All are welcome here. At Guru, being inclusive is very important to us. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran status or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.