Guru is looking for a Director of Finance to oversee the Finance function across our rapidly growing team. Our Director of Finance will directly manage an accounting team while also supporting our leadership team in improving existing and creating new processes that scale with our company. We’re looking for someone who has experience in a high growth startup, establishing financial processes, and who can jump from strategy to tactical execution without a hitch. Our ideal candidate is self-motivated, analytical, and is comfortable presenting findings to senior leadership.
This job is not only about how well you lead the day to day financial operations at Guru; it’s about how you lend your positivity and presence, combined with your skill set, to an energized environment and highly collaborative team. Strong sense of humor required, sarcasm detection skills a plus.
- Oversee the daily accounting operations, including revenue recognition, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed assets, payroll and operational cash management.
- Work cross-functionally to partner with functions to achieve budget objectives by reviewing expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions
- Provide monthly financial variance analysis and hold budget review meetings with department heads
- Own all contract management, invoicing, and collection operations and correlating systems to support these operations
- Oversee the company’s equity plan, including vesting schedules and compensation guidelines for each department.
- Collaborate with Sales organization in ensuring contracts are booked in accordance with GAAP and offer support in negotiation, collections, and renewal terms on an as needed basis
- Oversee company's business insurance portfolio and annual renewal process
- Support financing activities, including venture capital fundraising
- Report on company performance, and assist with creating board materials
- Creates, reviews and enhances Company's accounting policies and procedures as well as monitoring their consistent application in accordance with GAAP.
- Oversee the financial close process and monthly reporting to deliver accurate and timely results to the organization to facilitate critical decision making.
- Administration of company system of internal controls and financial systems.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local corporate income, payroll and other applicable taxes and licenses.
- Maintains financial staff by managing, recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees
- Minimum 10-12 years’ experience in accounting/finance with at least 3 years of experience at a senior leadership or management level
- Extensive experience in a rapidly scaling startup or technology organization through different stages of a company lifecycle (early stage, Series A, Series B, growth stage, IPO/acquisition, etc).
- CPA with BS/BA in Accounting/Finance, or a related field of study from an accredited college or university; MBA a plus.
- Impeccable attention to detail and the ability to accurately and professionally present the company’s financial position, discerning applicability to each of the leadership team, executive management, and Board of Directors.
- Expert knowledge of General Ledger, consolidations, month-end close process, and GAAP.
- Strong, analytical communication (verbal and written), and project management skills.
- Experience with QuickBooks, Sage Intaact or NetSuite is experience is preferred
- Experience managing the deployment of new software/accounting systems.
- Ideal candidate has demonstrated ability to partner with leadership to drive key business and financial decisions
- Proactive & independent; solution oriented, creative, & endlessly curious; high attention to detail & extremely diligent
Benefits to you:
- Competitive salary
- Employee Stock Option Plan
- Generous health and commuter benefits
- The chance to contribute to an upbeat, fully engaged culture
Guru is a dynamic, fast growing start-up based in Philadelphia and San Francisco. Our mission is to reinvent the way people connect with meaningful information at work. Guru’s knowledge management solution provides customer-facing teams access to expert-verified information where they work and when they need it most. We believe in cultivating a welcoming, inclusive culture that encourages personal growth through working hard and having fun.
Launched in September 2015, our vision is backed by an amazing group of investors including FirstMark Capital, Salesforce, Michael Dell, the Slack Fund, Emergence Capital, Thrive Capital and Accel. As we enter the next exciting stage of expansion, we're searching for passionate individuals to join our rapidly growing team.
This is a full-time position located in our Philadelphia or San Francisco office. Re-location and/or Visa Sponsorship is not included in our hiring package. Applicants will need to be authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.