Guru is looking for a People Operations Manager to own the HR function across our dispersed and rapidly growing team. Our People Ops Manager will support our leadership team in improving our human resources strategy and creating processes that grow with our company. We’re looking for someone who has experience in a high growth startup, setting up HR processes and procedures from scratch, who can jump from strategy to tactical implementation without a hitch, and lead operational and cultural initiatives.
You will lead the HR function at Guru, working on everything from building People Ops processes and strategies from the ground up to planning our next team volunteer event. By embodying our core values every day and focusing on employee engagement, you will help define, strengthen and enhance our culture.
To be successful in this role, you should be passionate about people and process, with an eye and work towards continuous improvement. Making a difference to those around you is what gets you out of bed in the morning and you are not afraid to go out of your comfort zone to do so.
This job is not only about how well you handle nurturing our team and culture; it’s about how you lend your positivity and presence, combined with your skill set, to an energized environment and highly collaborative team. Strong sense of humor required, sarcasm detection skills a plus.
- Design and implement our people operations programs, processes, and policies that will effectively scale with the company
- Be the lead on matters regarding HR, benefits administration, organizational development and any HR-related legal concerns
- Oversee day-to-day people operations of the business, including payroll, benefits, time off, contracts, and compliance
- Own the management of Paycom, our HRIS program, to keep it up-to-date and effective
- Craft and lead our company-wide benefits programs and compensation strategy using data-backed insights and analysis
- Act as first point of contact and support for employee changes including professional development, employee performance, leave, and day-to-day support
- Cultivate our creative culture and implement innovative human capital programs that support our team
- Support the overall cross-functional team in managing our employee team building and culture events
- Develop and deploy initiatives to drive employee engagement and a sound sense of connection across our highly distributed company including but not limited to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Support recruiting efforts with insights on future hiring and central initiatives as needed
- Coordinate with the Leadership Team and outside counsel on risk and legal related matters
- Ensure Guru and its team are safe, compliant, and able to grow effectively
- More than 7 years of people ops, human resources, or closely related experience
- At least 2 years of management experience
- Experience setting up internal people policies, systems, and procedures in a thriving company
- Knowledgeable on employment law matters, employment legislation, and compliance management
- Strong interpersonal skills and a deep ability to understand what motivates others
- Excellent organization skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize actions
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a fast-paced environment, and to juggle several projects with a spirit of flexibility and positive outlook
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done, no matter how big or small
- Ability to write and communicate verbally in an effective and compelling manner
- Experience as an HR professional in a distributed or fully remote company is a plus
- Professional human capital related certification a plus (i.e. PHR/SPHR)
Benefits to you:
- Competitive salary
- Employee Stock Option Plan
- Generous health and commuter benefits
- Dog Friendly Office
- The chance to contribute to an upbeat, fully engaged culture
Guru is a dynamic, fast growing start-up based in Philadelphia and San Francisco. Our mission is to reinvent the way people connect with meaningful information at work. Guru’s knowledge management solution provides customer-facing teams access to expert-verified information where they work and when they need it most. We believe in cultivating a welcoming, inclusive culture that encourages personal growth through working hard and having fun.
Launched in September 2015, our vision is backed by an amazing group of investors including FirstMark Capital, Salesforce, Michael Dell, the Slack Fund, Emergence Capital, and Thrive Capital. As we enter the next exciting stage of expansion, we're searching for passionate individuals to join our rapidly growing team.
This is a full-time position located in our Philadelphia or San Francisco office. Re-location and/or Visa Sponsorship is not included in our hiring package. Applicants will need to be authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.