We are looking for a Lead UX Researcher to join our product team based in Philly and San Francisco. As our inaugural dedicated UX Researcher, you will have the exciting yet challenging opportunity to define and drive the future for this practice at Guru. We’ll be looking to you to apply your proven learnings and expertise to lay the foundation for how we surface unbiased research insights that inspire product strategy from this moment forward.
- You’re a curious person, with a strong sense of humility who deeply cares about solving the right problem. You empathize with the user and have a deep understanding of their needs. In this hands-on lead role, you will communicate and act upon these needs through design, product direction, and business objectives.
- You’re a born collaborator, eager to work side-by-side with high performance multidisciplinary designers, product managers and engineers exploring the limits of knowledge, collaborative workflows and AI.
- You’re passionate about creating a better journey for every user from beginning to end and are continually evolving your UX practice to meet customers’ ever-evolving needs.
- Data gets you excited. Like, really excited.
- The voice of the customer is your natural language—you bring that viewpoint to all discussions as it relates to the visual and interaction design across all of Guru’s platforms.
- You firmly believe that understanding user needs, behaviors, and emotions will yield insights that can change not only the experiences we create, but the complete service our business offers.
- You embody our Product Design Team’s Core Values
What You’ll Do
- Establish the UX research vision and best practices for our products, and partner with senior and executive leadership and product teams to advocate for solutions that support both end-user goals and long-term product visions and business strategies.
- Lead the design, execution and best practices for Guru's research toolkit including (but not limited to) interviews, surveys, usability testing, concept studies & testing, participatory design, card sorting, etc.
- Plan and conduct qualitative and quantitative user research. Inspire the research process from screening participants and defining test plans to analyzing data and synthesizing results.
- Compile an ongoing research-participant database.
- Facilitate and observe studies in the field (call centers, team offices, etc) to gain first-hand knowledge of Guru user behaviors.
- Advance our ability to effectively organize and communicate research insights in ways that make them easily accessible and actionable by various stakeholders and product teams. Your findings should be clear and impactful, surfacing the most meaningful stories from your research findings.
- Provide insight on why people do the things they do when interacting with Guru’s product’s touch points.
- Choose and define appropriate metrics that reflect the quality of the user experience, as well as the impact of design changes.
- Collaborate with our strategy, Product, UX, Engineering, Marketing, and CX teams to drive insights that lead to innovation, outstanding customer experiences, and increased customer engagement.
- When the time is right, you will build and lead the UX Research team and practice at Guru.
- Report directly to our Senior Director of UX, and collaborate closely with your fellow Product Design team
- 6+ years of product design research experience.
- Masters or secondary degree in Human Computer Interaction.
- Both analytical and creative with hands-on experience with a variety of quantitative methods, qualitative field research methods, and design thinking. A deep knowledge of different research methodologies and tools is required, as well as experience in managing and executing end-to-end user research and concept testing for a B2C SaaS software.
- An appreciation for applying lean methodologies to process.
- Experience with both generative and evaluative research initiatives.
- A strong foundation of UX best practices and human-centered design principles that lead your decision making process, and an eagerness to empower this knowledge with others.
- A proven track record of influencing complex and diverse products and customer experiences.
- Excellent communication skills and a passion for customer advocacy that can inform and influence product owners, designers, and business stakeholders.
- Comfortable traveling.
Benefits to you:
- Competitive salary
- Employee Stock Option Plan
- Generous health and commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO
- Monthly company social events
- The chance to contribute to an upbeat, fully engaged culture
Guru is a dynamic, fast-growing start-up based in Philadelphia and San Francisco. Our mission is to reinvent the way people connect with meaningful information at work. Guru’s knowledge management solution provides customer-facing teams access to expert-verified information where they work and when they need it most. We believe in cultivating a welcoming, inclusive culture that encourages personal growth through working hard and having fun.
Launched in September 2015, our vision is backed by an amazing group of investors, including FirstMark Capital, Salesforce, Michael Dell, the Slack Fund, Emergence Capital, and Thrive Capital. As we enter the next exciting stage of expansion, we're searching for passionate individuals to join our rapidly growing team.
This is a full-time position located in our Philadelphia or San Francisco office. Re-location and/or Visa Sponsorship is not included in our hiring package. Applicants will need to be authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.