Guru is looking for a key individual to lead the Product Design and UX for a core segment of our full-service B2b SaaS product. You will envision and create the next generation of tools used by Customer Success teams from companies like Slack, Spotify, Square, Airtable, Shopify, Glossier, Hyundai and more.
The bigger the challenge is, the more comfortable you are. You are an expert in the traditional skills of Product Design (UI & UX) and beyond - roadmapping, research, data analysis, measuring outcomes, iterating, and working within design systems.
You will specialize in distilling feedback, data and complex technical requirements into simple and effortless experiences for our customers. You will advocate for these customers with high levels of user empathy, while simultaneously understanding the diverse goals and required effort of your teammates. With an experimental mindset, you will be comfortable nimbly testing & measuring a variety of solutions, doubling down on what works and moving on from what doesn’t. Working closely with the rest of your Product Team, you will objectively balance qualitative and quantitative insights (combined with UX best practices) to make informed decisions about what to build next.
We invite you to learn a bit more about Guru - our story, our values and the exciting and special journey our team is embarking on together. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, and neither should you. In the end, it’s not about whether your idea was right or wrong – it’s about making the best product for our users, crushing our goals and enjoying the wild, fun, synergetic ride it takes for us to get there.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and contribute to all parts of the internal process: from roadmap prioritization, discovery, research & validation to prototyping, UI, dev handoffs and technical writing. Asa Product Designer in this day and age, your work consists of so much more than UI & UX - and you should be comfortable with and excited about that.
- Ship products on time, within scope and in a state that impacts the bottom line.
- Develop a strong and continuously evolving understanding of Guru’s target user personas. This includes digging into quantitative data at any chance you get, as well as frequent communication and qualitative field research with our users.
- Collaborate and seek input from your core team and beyond to collect the essential knowledge to inform and support all of your Design and UX initiatives.
- Be comfortable working in a continuous cycle of test > learn > iterate > repeat. Great ideas aren’t easy – they take lots of refinement.
- Collaborate closely with our Product Design and Brand Studio teams to ensure our work continuously represents our brand voice, visual identity and UI design systems.
- Report directly to our Senior Director of UX, and collaborate closely with your fellow Product Designers
You’ll Know You’re a Good Fit if you:
- Embody our Product Design Team’s Core Values
- Have proven success shipping best-in-class product features collaboratively alongside a cross-functional Product Team (Design, Product Management, Engineering, Data Science, Product Marketing, etc).
- Find genuine joy in solving complex problems. Design isn’t just your job - it’s your passion.
- Have experience leading the Design strategy on products and features for customer-facing teams (Customer Support, CX, Sales, etc)
- Are inspired by adaptation and expansion. Guru is growing rapidly, and therefore yesterday’s processes won’t necessarily work tomorrow. You are comfortable taking responsibility throughout this exciting period and using design thinking to help you and your team adapt along every step of the way.
- Are a strong technical writer and know how to use language, tone and imagery to guide users through a SaaS product and its features in a clear, succinct manner with a warm and empowering tone.
- Insist on staying on the leading edge of Design and Product thinking through a natural, insatiable curiosity for the industry. You seek thought leadership through articles, speaking events, podcasts and beyond. You study products and apps to see how other Design teams solve similar problems. You freely share these insights with others and inspire those around you.
- Possess disruptive thinking with the ability to deliver – Bold ideas are your bread & butter.
- Are comfortable taking charge and leading discussions when need be. You communicate across departments fluently, and can clearly understand, articulate and establish agendas.
- Are comfortable being scrappy, but you channel your inner storytelling prowess when need be. You can weave insights into compelling narratives that bring partners onboard and influence your team members; you have a natural ability to clearly articulate design decisions in a compelling way.
- 6-8+ years of professional product design experience in an applicable role - Product Designer, UX Designer, etc
- A resume & cover letter
- A portfolio of work & success, demonstrating your passion for simple, intuitive and beautiful user-centered designs that produces results
- Mastery of Sketch, InVision or similar programs in the typical Product Design stack
- Ability to across multiple projects at once
- Ability to set and meet deadlines
- Flexible & comfortable with ambiguity & change during a project lifecycle
- Proactive and articulate communicator and a great teammate across all levels of the organization
- Rigorous attention to detail and consistency
- A basic understanding of front-end development and tech (HTML, CSS, responsive layouts, etc) in order to understand how these technologies can impact and be leveraged by design.
Benefits to you:
- Competitive salary
- Employee Stock Option Plan
- Generous health and commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO
- Monthly company social events
- The chance to contribute to an upbeat, fully engaged culture
Guru is a dynamic, fast-growing start-up based in Philadelphia and San Francisco. Our mission is to reinvent the way people connect with meaningful information at work. Guru’s knowledge management solution provides customer-facing teams access to expert-verified information where they work and when they need it most. We believe in cultivating a welcoming, inclusive culture that encourages personal growth through working hard and having fun.
Launched in September 2015, our vision is backed by an amazing group of investors, including FirstMark Capital, Salesforce, Michael Dell, the Slack Fund, Emergence Capital, and Thrive Capital. As we enter the next exciting stage of expansion, we're searching for passionate individuals to join our rapidly growing team.
This is a full-time position located in our Philadelphia or San Francisco office. Re-location and/or Visa Sponsorship is not included in our hiring package. Applicants will need to be authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.