GumGum is a contextual-first global advertising technology company that captures people’s attention, without the use of personal data. We believe that a digital advertising ecosystem based on understanding a consumer’s active frame of mind rather than behavior builds a more equitable and safer future for consumers, publishers and advertisers alike. Founded in 2008, GumGum is headquartered in Santa Monica, California and operates in 19 markets worldwide. For more information, visit gumgum.com.
The Senior Manager of Accounting, APAC, will play a critical role in GumGum’s international growth strategy and will be a key-contributor in building out our shared-services operations in APAC.
The Sr Manager of Accounting, APAC reports to the VP, Accounting in the USA, while staying closely aligned with the business and senior management in Australia. This role is primarily responsible for managing the accounting, financial reporting, audit, controls, corporate governance, tax compliance and payroll functions for our legal entities in Australia, Singapore and Japan.. This role requires someone who is proactive, self-directed and team oriented with strong IFRS and/or US GAAP experience and the resourcefulness to take on a variety of assignments.
The Sr Manager will initially lead a team of two in Australia and also oversee our outsourced accounting provider in Japan, helping grow and develop this team in APAC
Note: GumGum currently operates in a ‘work from home’ virtual environment with sporadic opportunities for in-person business and morale events (health guidelines permitting). There will not be any requirement to go into the office on a daily basis moving forward.
What You'll Achieve
- The main tasks & responsibilities of the role are focused on accounting operations, reporting, tax and internal controls and compliance, which includes:
- Oversee the monthly accounting close and financial reporting cycles; continuously drive to improve processes for scalability and complexity
- Manage the external audit processes and annual filings by gathering and helping prepare all supporting documentation requested
- Oversee the timely filings of all tax (corporate, sales tax, VAT), statutory and local filings while coordinating with external providers and tax agents
- Manage relationships with various tax authorities and relevant government agencies in Australia, Singapore and Japan
- Maintain corporate compliance and manage company secretarial matters for legal entities in Australia, Singapore and Japan
- Manage the treasury function, including cash flow projections for the APAC region
- Manage the payroll function for Australia, Singapore and Japan
- Oversee and assist with the creation and maintenance of accounting schedules, reconciliations, roll-forwards and associated monthly adjusting journal entries
- Build out and maintain controls around the process of recording and reconciling capitalized software and publisher commissions
- Oversee the “SOX-ready” compliance for all APAC entities; work to strengthen internal controls and ensure the control environment is operating effectively and efficiently
- Review customer and publisher contracts as needed and determine proper accounting treatment
- Assist with international M&A activity, including financial due diligence, planning, purchase accounting and financial systems integration
- Advise on internal and external developments (for example changes in legislation and regulations) and trends in relevant tax issues
- Guide & communicate with multiple levels of internal customers and external vendors
- Collaborate closely with corporate accounting and finance teams
- Support management team with ad hoc requests and be a partner to the business leaders
- Leadership & Management
- Lead the in-place accounting team, including mentoring, motivating and career development and growth management.
- Provide clear vision and thought leadership; Set longer-term strategic goals for the department to align with the greater company strategy.
- Process Improvements & Building Departmental Efficiencies
- Continuously improve the accounting department’s policies and procedures for automation, efficiency and in support of the Company’s growth strategy.
- Drive finance and accounting efficiencies through improving processes, organizational capabilities and internal controls to ultimately reduce the accounting close timeline to public company standards.
- Build and implement robust financial policies, procedures and internal controls that scale for an emerging public company
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
- Build, advocate for, and foster an inclusive culture that thrives on collaboration, accountability and winning
- Build strategies and practices that ensure the adoption of equitable and inclusive practices across the company
- Collaborate with internal & external DEIB partners to continually enhance and deploy best-in-class DEIB practices within global accounting functions
Skills You'll Bring
- Bachelor's degree and Chartered Accountant required.
- 7+ years of broad experience in accounting and financial reporting
- Strong knowledge of IFRS, US GAAP (preferred)
- Strong knowledge of internal controls and SOX
- Experience managing annual and statutory audits
- Experience with complex, multinational ERP and other financial systems. NetSuite experience is a plus
- Multi-national company experience, understanding of parent-subsidiary and purchase accounting a plus
- Knowledge of relevant laws and regulations and experience dealing with various tax authorities and relevant government agencies in Australia (Singapore and Japan a plus)
- Leadership experience
- Microsoft office with advanced Excel skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and fluency in English
- A proactive, self-directed approach with the ability to multi-task, think creatively, meet deadlines and learn quickly in a high-volume environment
- Team oriented with a positive attitude
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work autonomously without supervision
- Leader that sets clear goals and expectations, tracks progress against established goals, provides ongoing feedback and updates, and communicates and addresses issues promptly
- Growth mindset and a desire to learn
- A passion for building and improving strong durable systems and processes
- Strong problem-solving skills; offering solutions in high-pressure situations
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with fluctuating priorities and deadlines
All interested candidates please don't delay in applying ASAP.
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The VOICE Coalition - through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
- BuiltinLA #7 Best Places to Work 2022
- BuiltinLA Best Places to Work 2021
- Ad Exchanger Programmatic Power Player 2022 and 2021
- Digiday Media Awards Europe finalist 2022 and 2021
- Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year, Greater LA finalist 2022
GumGum is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. At GumGum, we believe in cultivating an environment where our team members can bring their authentic, whole selves to work. Encouraging identity and belonging is one of the many aspects of our culture that makes us stronger as an organization and drives innovation. We are committed to building and delivering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workforce that is representative of the world around us, where all individuals are treated with respect and dignity - and to act swiftly if this value is ever threatened. We are constantly striving to be better, and we continue to take strategic steps to advance representation. - Phil Schraeder, CEO
Follow us on our socials...
Instagram: @gumgum & @dogsofgumgum
Tweet us: @gumgum