GumGum is a contextual-first global advertising technology company that captures people’s attention, without the use of personal data. We believe that a digital advertising ecosystem based on understanding a consumer’s active frame of mind rather than behavior builds a more equitable and safer future for consumers, publishers and advertisers alike. Founded in 2008, GumGum is headquartered in Santa Monica, California and operates in 19 markets worldwide. For more information, visit gumgum.com.
The Business Development Manager (BDM) to the Managing Director (MD), Japan, is a strategic thinker and practitioner who will concentrate on ensuring the company’s goals and initiatives by working lockstep with the MD to articulate and execute strategies for GumGum Japan.
In addition to being a thought partner to the MD, this individual will at times become a delegate on their behalf. The remit includes exciting and varied challenges across strategy, planning, business development, operations and more. In addition, the BDM will be relied on to monitor industry trends, provide thought leadership and ensure the MD is ahead of industry dynamics.
The BDM will ensure that decisions are made based on thoughtful analysis, that information arrives at the right point across the organization, and that strategic priorities are executed flawlessly.
We are looking for a BDM who is analytical while being able to roll up their sleeves and get the job done. It is paramount that the BDM be resourceful, a problem solver and collaborative with team members at all levels.
Note: GumGum currently operates in a ‘work from home’ virtual environment with sporadic opportunities for in-person business and morale events (health guidelines permitting). There will not be any requirement to go into the office on a daily basis moving forward.
- Work directly with leadership to assist with setting the strategic directions/priorities for the Japan business
- Partner with the senior leaders at GumGum to drive strategic planning
- Research & Analytics
- Conduct and lead data-driven analysis / synthesize market research to inform strategic decisions, with opportunities to present to the leadership team
- Leverage internal data to create or validate strategies in specific verticals, product segments and other areas
- Monitor key industry trends across the adtech and marketing industry, Be in the know and provide industry digest to the MD and senior leaders on his team
- Support strategic initiatives for Japan such as leading pilot programs for new products
- Own a variety of company wide projects including measuring progress and driving to successful outcomes
- Support the MD, on advising key leaders on best practices for getting alignment on decisions
- Work with leaders on business goals management and tracking
- Provide leaders with support to improve teamwork across the organization
- Assist MD with leadership meetings including, but not limited to, supporting the agenda, providing insights and analysis to inform strategic conversations and tracking follow through to increase accountability
- Drive content creation and agendas for key internal and external purposes (HQ presentations, speaking events, key client meetings, Japan team meetings and the like)
- Assist MD with office initiatives
- BA/BS or equivalent working experience
- Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) degree preferred
- Required: 3+ years of experience at a management consulting or investment banking firm, or 5+ years of experience working on strategic projects in a relevant field
- Preferred: 2-3 years of experience working at a high growth tech company, Experience in adtech or martech preferred
- High IQ with an inquisitive mind and passion to connect the dots
- EQ with significant experience and comfort partnering with and influencing all levels of the organization
- Team first professional with a passion for driving both strategic outcomes and operational accountability and improvement
- Self-starter with a high desire to learn and grow
- Personality profile to fit into high-growth, venture-backed entrepreneurial culture that requires teamwork and significant interaction with employees at all levels
- Ability to work collaboratively and in partnership with cross-functional teams to the benefit of GumGum
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, organizational and planning skills, both in Japanese and English
- Data and metrics-driven with experience analyzing markets and trends, anticipating and identifying opportunities, and developing insight at a strategic level
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, organizational and planning skills
- Pet friendly organization - we love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Virtual company events and (optional) in-person celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The VOICE Coalition - through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
Follow us on our socials...
Our Instagram: @gumgum & @dogsofgumgum
Follow us on LinkedIn: gumgum
Tweet us: @gumgum
Stay connected on Facebook: gumgum