GumGum is a contextual-first global advertising technology company that captures people’s attention, without the use of personal data. We believe that a digital advertising ecosystem based on understanding a consumer’s active frame of mind rather than behavior builds a more equitable and safer future for consumers, publishers and advertisers alike. Founded in 2008, GumGum is headquartered in Santa Monica, California and operates in 19 markets worldwide. For more information, visit gumgum.com.
The Senior Computer Vision (CV) Scientist is a key member that will be working on Verity within the larger combined Natural Language Processing (NLP) / CV team. On a day-to-day basis, this role operates as a member of the applied research and development team. This role aims to deliver solutions that continue to enhance GumGum’s ability for brand safety and contextual understanding in addition to meeting requirements from various advertising campaigns.
Engineering team members at GumGum are encouraged to share ideas which can often influence product decisions. The person in this role will need to stay relevant and up-to-date with state-of-the-art technology. Behind the scenes, the CV scientist will be working with large datasets so it is important that the person in this role is comfortable working with distributed computing in a highly scalable, cloud-based environment. Some key areas of interest that the team has worked on include image classification, object detection and extending these principles to processing videos.
The Senior CV role works within a large cross functional team that involves collaborating with our NLP team related to data pipelines / active learning pipelines and our Machine Learning Engineering (MLE) team on projects within our CI/CD environments. The person in this role will make a significant impact on Verity’s product offerings which will be key to generating revenue streams for the business.
Note: GumGum currently operates in a ‘work from home’ virtual environment with sporadic opportunities for in-person business and morale events (health guidelines permitting). There will not be any requirement to go into the office on a daily basis moving forward. GumGum is only open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and MN.
- Own projects from their inception to production release (and beyond)
- Create a ML Design for a given problem statement and scan available research papers to identify the best approach.
- Execute on the design from data collection, through model selection and training to model evaluation and hand-over to the MLE team.
- Support the MLE Team during model productionization and model related production issues.
- Guide junior team members through their projects.
- Always keep an eye on potential improvements to the system, the models, and the training strategy to help the team improve.
- Utilize DL (Deep Learning) frameworks like Pytorch or Tensorflow to build and train neural models for CV tasks
- Perform hands-on Machine Learning tasks and statistical analyses in Python
- Lead by example and write efficient, clean, documented, scalable and maintainable Python code following the Object Oriented Paradigms and Design Patterns.
- Take ownership of CV projects and products alongside the rest of the CV team members
- Collaborate regularly with cross-functional teams (MLE, NLP, Product) to build upon existing products, brainstorm creative solutions for new products, and to share technical learnings with each other
- Enhance existing solutions including code refactoring to optimize for performance, reliability, efficiency, and scalability
- MS/PhD in Computer Vision, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or Physics, Machine Learning or a related technical field is required
- 3-5+ years Professional Experience in CV and Machine Learning
- Experience working on various CV projects
- Proficient experience in Python required
- Experience in utilizing DL concepts and architectures for CV
- Experience with AWS ecosystem preferred
- Experience training with large datasets preferred
- Experience with CPU/GPU optimization preferred
- Proficient using libraries such as Pandas, Scikit Learn and Numpy.
- Ability to quickly understand and utilize a new python library.
- Proficient with at least one data visualization tools and libraries such as plotly, matplotlib.
- Proficient in Software Development, Object Oriented Paradigms and Design Patterns
- Solid understanding of Statistical Concepts such as A/B Testing, p-values, bootstrapping etc.
- Strong communication skills to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams including both technical and non-technical team members
- Strong critical and logical skills while also being able to “think outside the box” to come up with creative solutions to meet the project needs
- Organized self-starter with proactive attitude
- Critical thinker, able to break down complex problems, and help other team members while also working with ambiguity
- Team player that works well with others in a cross functional team
- An advocate for continuous learning such that they are motivated to stay on top of latest developments
- Demonstrate independence or has leadership qualities to step in and guide a project from conception to production (i.e. self-motivated and takes initiative)
- Intuition to know when to pivot from an existing research project to another such that they are able to remove themselves from going down an endless rabbit hole.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Vision Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Dental Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employer-Matched 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Stock Incentive Program (role dependent)
- Paid Parental Leave - Birth parents can receive up to 16-18 weeks for birth recovery and baby bonding. Non-birth parents can receive up to 10 weeks for baby bonding
- Transitional Return-to-Work Schedule
- Modern Family Support: Cleo App
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal and Identity Theft Protection
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- WFH Stipend
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Flexible Time Off
- Veterinary Discounts
- WeWork Monthly Pass
- Pet friendly organization - We love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Virtual company events and (optional) in-person celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
- Anniversary recognition and awards
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The VOICE Coalition - through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
Follow us on our socials...
Our Instagram: @gumgum & @dogsofgumgum
Follow us on LinkedIn: gumgum
Tweet us: @gumgum
Stay connected on Facebook: gumgum