The Head of Operations, is a key strategic partner to the Operations and Sales team, achieving growth and success by maintaining a high level of delivery and strategic customer success. Also, collaborating closely with experts and leaders at GumGum US headquarters and international offices, and owning the management and evolution of our entire advertising operations (including direct and programmatic). As Head of Operations, this role will oversee the Japan Ops function and manage a team of specialists in project management, digital advertising operations and creative design.
The Head of Ops has a strong ad tech background, excellent leadership skills, is a strategic thinker and is comfortable working across a variety of platforms and systems. This individual is solutions-oriented and is a problem-solver.
- Product Management - Manage the implementation of GumGum’s advertising products and technologies, supporting direct and programmatic sold campaigns. Work with the Managing Director and Head of Sales, to create locally relevant operations strategy - including execution and adoption of new products and services.
- Cross functional collaboration - Work with experts and leaders at GumGum US headquarters and international offices (Account Management, Ad Operations, Creative Design) and incorporate best practices. Keep appropriate parties updated on status, issues, etc; by Reaching out to peers at HQ and other international offices to share and resolve operational issues, capture latest updates and developments from HQ and implement in a way that works best in Japan.
- Customer Focus - Understand our customer needs and maximize our operational excellence and customer services. You aim to serve and delight our customers through successful delivery.
- Industry Knowledge - Knowledgeable of ad industry trends to capitalize on revenue and growth opportunities
- Leadership - Attract, retain, develop and motivate the team. Exhibits exceptional leadership skills to nurture talent and provide development guidance and career planning for each individual team member. Provide creative, strategic, and practical leadership to team members and monitor overall team health including utilization, individual satisfaction, output and succession planning.
- Process Owning - Push for consistent process improvement and set relevant policies for the team. Understand commonalities and differences between markets and keep an adequate balance of efficiency and localization.
- Formal education - BS/BA or equivalent in marketing, business, technology or other related field
- 8+ years of experience in digital advertising, preferably in an advertising project management or operations role for digital media, which includes a minimum of 2-3 years of experience managing a team of 5+ employees.
- Strong understanding of digital advertising business and ad serving, programmatic knowledge and experience preferred
- Excellent communication and management skills, the ability to multitask
- Proficiency in office software and business tools (Salesforce, JIRA, Slack etc)
- Understanding of both customer services and efficient operations,
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple competing tasks and demands and work under tight deadlines
- Strong ad tech background
- Ability to work across a variety of platforms and systems - Familiarity with project management softwares and tools
- Strong cross functional collaboration across all departments of the company
- Can effectively manage performance through team members and can have difficult conversations when required
- Ability to engage and inspire team to greater performance targets
- Enthusiastic, professional demeanor and experience working in a client-oriented setting (internal or external)
- Native level Japanese and business level English
- Skilled Communicator - Able to clearly explain tasks and inspire others with varying backgrounds and perspectives
- Is a problem solver who thoughtfully arrives at solutions
- Calm under pressure
- Motivated self starter with a flexible outlook
- Trustworthy individual who builds strong working relationships
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The Voice Coalition- Through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
We invite you to learn more about GumGum!
GumGum is an AI company with expertise in computer vision built on the imagination of its people. Each day, our talented team of thinkers and doers comes together to solve hard problems on behalf of the world’s most successful businesses. Through a combination of computer science, creativity and hustle, we’ve produced a series of major technology breakthroughs across a variety of industries - from advertising to sports.
GumGum is constantly evolving to be at the forefront of computer vision and machine learning advancements. With nearly 10 years experience, we use our proprietary image recognition technology to deliver highly engaging, contextually relevant ad experiences across premium publishers all over the world.
Our Products & Services...
Our Advertising business serves contextual marketing messages in line with content users are actively engaged with.
Verity, GumGum's contextual analysis tool, combines natural language processing with computer vision technology to execute a multi-layered reading process by parsing the body text, headlines, image captions with natural language processing; at the same time, using computer vision to parse the main visuals.
Our Sports business helps marketers and rights holders understand the full media value of their sponsorship investments across broadcast and social media. And we deliver on brand safety by leveraging our AI to detect unsafe text and imagery, allowing us to deliver ads in brand safe, contextually relevant environments.
What’s a Hackathon? We’re glad you asked. Our employees split into teams and spend 48 hours ‘hacking’ together before presenting their ideas to our executive team. It’s a chance for anyone within our company to showcase the visions they want to bring to fruition.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed. Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum
Oh, and doggies...
We love our dogs so much, we even have an Instagram dedicated to them! Follow us: @dogsofgumgum