For other positions, some roles may be based outside of our Denver office (as stated in the Job Title). Roles based outside of our Denver office can sit in any of the following 26 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Guild is hiring a Sr Data Architects to help us build our next-generation platform which will power the next few waves of extensive growth while also leading, maintaining, and operating our existing systems.
We are looking for a top-tier data architect who is optimally able to work up, down, and across our engineering organization and systems. We need someone who asks “why,” and is not afraid to “wade in ambiguity” to help drive technical decision-making for Guild. We are looking for someone who will roll up their sleeves, provide technical expertise and counsel, and will deliver outstanding technical solutions to our hardest data and system design problems. This role will require a focus on both how we craft, build and handle sophisticated systems, their data stores, and also the thoughtful delivery of new sophisticated systems within the DataOps domain.
As a DataOps Architect, you will:
- Collaborate with other Architects and Engineering Leaders to lead teams in requirements definition, domain modeling, design
- , architecture evaluation, and implementation of Guild’s systems and services.
- Define and document patterns, standards, and practices for engineering teams.
- Apply systems thinking to our data architecture and technology to drive optimizations for speed of delivery, quality, and maintainability.
- Works across the engineering organization to foster a culture of data design and architecture that encourages and supports iterative, autonomous development and future scaling.
- Partner with our InfoSec team to refine our organizational security strategy while encouraging a security-first mentality across the organization.
- Guide the engineering teams in anticipation of future needs and craft design decisions that minimize the cost of future changes within our data systems.
- Meet our business needs by collaborating with business partners to define and deliver our Technology and Product Roadmap.
- Ensure high functioning distributed systems by defining and refining our domain models and their underlying data models in collaboration with engineering and product teams.
- Challenge our business and technical status quo to help build new product capabilities by creatively changing technical strategy or overcoming constraints.
- Role model engineering standard methodologies and provide exceptional technical direction to teams.
- Own organizational architecture practices and processes as well as their continuous improvement.
- Ensure we are ready for what may come tomorrow!
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- A long history of being a teammate people trust and love working with.
- 12 + years of engineering experience with a relevant degree or experience.
- Worked at the confluence of agile Application Development, Data Governance, and Micro-service Architecture Design and Development
- Expertise in building and owning multiple services and APIs—data modeling, unit and integration testing, and continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD).
- Deep expertise with many technologies like Snowflake, Redis, Java, Scala, Spark, Kinesis, Python, S3, and PostgreSQL.
- Expertise with technologies like cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure), database/ETL technologies (Postgres, NoSQL, Snowflake), queuing, messaging (Kinesis, RabbitMQ, MQ Series, Kafka), and modern source control (Git / Github) practices.
- Experience building out a data warehouse that is sourced from microservices as well as various other data sources.
- A commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively explain technical concepts to other engineers, analysts, product managers, and team members.
- Proven curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new technologies.
- Willingness to adopt change and work within a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for higher education and our mission.
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a base salary range of $230,000-$236,000, as well as company stock options.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $3.8 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- 3 weeks of vacation in the first year and an open vacation policy after year 1 to help recharge
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. As of February 1, 2022, we will be expanding our in-person vaccination requirement to include booster shots. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions can be requested for medical or religious reasons.