For other positions, some roles may be based outside of our Denver office (as stated in the Job Title). Roles based outside of our Denver office can sit in any of the following 26 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Guild is looking for Staff Engineers to build features, design and implement APIs, and improve the reliability of our systems as we scale our product.
We build our systems using tools such as Node, Postgres, GraphQL, and AWS. Experience with those are a huge plus but familiarity with other languages, API protocols, and databases work for us! We look for engineers that build with simplicity, reliability, and scalability in mind.
As a Staff Engineer, you will:
- Design, build, and own new services and infrastructure.
- Create code that is understandable, testable, and shared across teams and partners.
- Lead engineering efforts, share knowledge and feedback with multiple teams and partners.
- Deliver on time and be accountable to multiple teams and partners.
Our team emphasizes Guild values in the following ways:
- Be an Owner - Our work is tied to outcomes for our partners. We set clear expectations for delivery.
- Scale for Students; Students for Scale - We build consistently, test everything, keep an eye on it, and handle failure with patience.
- Have a Learner’s Attitude - Always be learning and share what you’ve learned. With our team, other teams, the business, and the developer community.
- Be Teammates - Respect underlies all relationships between teammates. Respecting each others' time, respecting expertise, and elevating our teammates. Better outcomes follow from using the collective over the individual.
Ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent cross-team communication and collaboration skills.
- Expertise in several (or all!) of these tools: Python, Node, Postgres, GraphQL, and AWS.
- Expertise building and owning multiple services and APIs—data modeling, unit and integration testing, and continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD).
- Deep expertise with a cloud platform (AWS, GCP, Azure, DigitalOcean), database technologies (Postgres, NoSQL), and modern source control (Git / Github).
- Demonstrated curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new technologies.
- Willingness to embrace change and work within a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for higher education and our mission.
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market driven, including a base salary range of $185,000-$218,750, as well as company stock options.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $3.8 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- 3 weeks of vacation in the first year and an open vacation policy after year 1 to help recharge
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. As of February 1, 2022, we will be expanding our in-person vaccination requirement to include booster shots. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions can be requested for medical or religious reasons.