Some roles may be remote (as stated in the Job Title). Remote roles can sit in any of the following 26 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Guild is hiring a Staff Software Engineer, Internal Developer Advocate to help us build, curate, and scale our engineering organization onboarding and continuing education practices. These practices are instrumental in powering Guild’s continued massive growth and improving developer experience within our best-in-class technology organization!
We are looking for a seasoned developer advocate with a deep engineering background, a passion for gathering and sharing knowledge, and the ability to communicate effectively across the organization. This role will be a high-level individual contributor reporting to the Director, Engineering Enablement and will have responsibility and oversight for curriculum development to drive engineer onboarding, training, and upskilling, along with the measurements needed to denote the efficiency of these practices.
As a Staff Software Engineer, Internal Developer Advocate, you will:
- Collaborate with engineering leaders and the HR Learning and Org Development team to integrate targeted engineering onboarding material into the new hire process, as well as mentoring to new and existing engineering team members.
- Provide up-to-date technical documentation, upskill opportunities, and more with a goal of enabling engineers to achieve OKRs and/or progress on development plans.
- Own the development and maintenance of a curated set of skill development resources enabling engineering teams to perform as a world class team.
- Work with architects and staff engineers to encompass direction, tools and desired patterns into training content and programs.
- Develop strong mentoring relationships across the engineering team
- Capture insights on our existing frameworks, processes, and developer needs.
- Demonstrate your engineering background and experience to break down complex concepts into digestible, approachable conversations and learning opportunities.
- Foster and support the creation of learning communities such as mentor circles and/or communities of practice
- Build meaningful relationships with leaders and represent/reflect the “voice of the developer” in conversations related to Enablement, processes and practices, and other relevant topics.
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- 10 + years engineering experience with Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline.
- Comfort presenting technical information to technical and non-technical audiences
- Curiosity and interest in experimenting with new processes and technologies
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, listening, and mentoring skills
- Strong writing skills, particularly related to technical documentation for developers
- An engineering background which includes significant experience in development languages like python, typescript, ruby, and/or java, and frameworks/patterns such as AWS Lambda, React, apollo, and flask.
- Well-rounded technical experience which includes technologies like cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure), Serverless/Lambda, Kubernetes, database/ETL technologies (Postgres, NoSQL, Snowflake), queuing, messaging (Kinesis, SQS, SNS) and modern source control (Git / Github) practices.
- A dedication to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
- Willingness to embrace change and work within a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for higher education and our mission.
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a base salary range of $185,000-$218,750, as well as company stock options.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $3.8 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- 3 weeks of vacation in the first year and an open vacation policy after year 1 to help recharge
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions can be requested for medical or religious reasons.