This may be a remote role, which can sit in any of the following 25 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TN, TX, SC, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Guild is hiring a Director of Engineering Enablement to help us scale our organization and processes to rapidly power the next few waves of extensive growth while also putting knowledge management, metrics and performance measurement and agile processes in place.
We are looking for a seasoned director who has put scalable and efficient processes in place for large engineering teams. This role will have responsibility to build out an organization focused on 4 key areas of underlying enablement for the entire engineering organization. Those areas include engineer onboarding, training and upskilling, performance management, knowledge management and agile process management. We need someone who can build and lead a team to provide these underlying capabilities working collaboratively across the organization.
As the Director of Engineering Enablement, you will:
- Build a team that collaborates with engineering leaders as well as the HR Learning and Org Development team to provide engineering specific onboarding and mentoring to new engineering hires as well as existing team members.
- Build a team to define and lead knowledge management objectives and structure including organization, templates, contribution tools, search and discovery. This will require working across the organization to put information architecture and structure in place to enable effective knowledge management contribution and discovery.
- Lead the development and maintenance of a curated set of skill development resources focused on giving engineering teams the resources and skills vital to perform as a world class team.
- Collaborate with other engineering leaders to put systems, processes and metrics in place to measure the overall performance of the technology platform, our processes and our organization. This includes measuring and providing transparency, visibility and measurement across hiring and onboarding, systems performance, cost and SLA attainment, agile process measurement, delivery management and team health.
- Manage systems and processes to facilitate the application of agile methodologies across the organization including forecasting, capacity planning, capitalization, agile processes and ceremonies and roadmap and delivery management.
- Support Learning Communities - build a practice for enabling learning communities, such as Communities of Practice and/or mentor circles, and provide guidance to help them succeed by creating opportunities for transfer of knowledge, standard methodologies, and skills. Promote these groups broadly and coach them on inclusion and standard methodologies.
Ideal candidate will have:
- 12 + years of engineering experience with a relevant degree or experience.
- Led and handled multiple engineering teams in a large engineering organization (150+ people)
- Led and developed teams to put systems and processes in place to enable and support engineering teams to scale.
- Expertise building and owning multiple services and APIs—data modeling, unit and integration testing, and continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) so you know what's needed for teams to deliver well.
- Expertise with technologies like cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure), Serverless, Kubernetes, database/ETL technologies (Postgres, NoSQL, Snowflake), queuing, messaging (Kinesis, RabbitMQ, MQ Series, Kafka), and modern source control (Git / Github) practices.
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, listening, and mentoring skills
- A commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to optimally explain technical concepts and processes to other engineers, product managers, and partners.
- Proven curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new processes and technologies.
- Willingness to adopt change and work within a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for higher education and our mission.
Guild is growing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $3.8 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an expansive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. Additionally, we feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market driven, including a base salary range of $190,000 - $216,500, as well as company stock options.
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- We provide 3 weeks of vacation in the first year and an open vacation policy after year 1 to help recharge
- We provide 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- We provide family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- We provide well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- We offer education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth