Guerrilla, the Amsterdam-based developer of Horizon Zero Dawn, is looking for a Network Engineer to support us is in the making of an exciting unannounced title.
Our Game Tech team
Our Game Tech team builds reliable, maintainable and performant game systems. We work with e.g. gameplay programmers, designers and artists to give them the tools they need to build the game. Among other things, we deliver an animation system, a visual scripting system, part of the cinematic pipeline, high level streaming systems, the physics engine integration, an analytics framework as well as the networking layer for both game client and server.
Our Online Tech
To sync multiple game clients in real time we’re using C++ and a custom UDP based protocol. All clients connect to a messaging hub which relays any message sent to it to all other players (hiding player IPs and preventing firewall issues). This hub runs on Linux on Amazon EC2. For everything that is not latency critical we use industry-standard web technologies: Java, Tomcat and Spring.
For information on the server technology for one of Guerrilla’s previous titles, Killzone Shadow Fall, please read:
What Will You Do
- You will create a robust object replication system that deals with large open worlds.
- You will build a framework to make it easy for game programmers to replicate game mechanics to other clients.
- You will Make sure that the game servers scale to accommodate many concurrent players.
- You will build systems to detect and cope with network issues.
- You will create algorithms to reduce / hide lag and to prevent cheating.
- You will multi thread systems to ensure that we maintain frame rate at all times.
- You will integrate PS4 platform features (e.g. voice comms) into the game.
- You will work on systems to test and deploy a new server set without downtime.
- You will work with backend engineers (Java) to integrate features in the game client, or if you’re interested, do some Java coding / debugging yourself to get a feature integrated.
Who Are You
- You are fluent in C++ and are comfortable working on a large code base.
- You have experience with client/server game architectures and their custom network protocols.
- You have a firm grasp on software design and architecture, and enjoy writing code that is both maintainable and performant.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills and a good command of the English language.
- You have a helpful, solution minded approach.
- You have an interest in online gaming.
If you are up for the challenge, you can apply by hitting the “apply now” button. For more information, please contact Riem Halawani (Studio Recruiter) through firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to submit your CV, Cover letter, and code sample(s) where you showcase your best and most recent work. We would love to see code examples showing structured programming and a demo presenting relevant work to the position.