Guerrilla, the Amsterdam-based developer of Horizon Zero Dawn, is looking for a Java Developer to support our Game Tech team with the project for an unannounced title.
Our Game Tech team
Our Game Tech team builds reliable, maintainable and performant game systems. We work with e.g. gameplay programmers, designers and artists to give them the tools they need to build the game. Among other things, we deliver an animation system, a visual scripting system, part of the cinematic pipeline, high level streaming systems, the physics engine integration, an analytics framework as well as the networking layer for both game client and server.
Our Online Tech
To sync multiple game clients in real time we’re using C++ and a custom UDP based protocol. For everything else we use industry-standard web technologies: Java, Tomcat and Spring. Our game communicates through REST and has a persistent HTTPS connection to receive notifications. We share as little state as possible between web instances and use Hazelcast to synchronize when needed. We use Linux on Amazon EC2 to host our servers and use other Amazon services like S3 and DynamoDB to store persistent data.
For information on the server technology for one of Guerrilla’s previous titles, Killzone Shadow Fall, please read:
What Will You Do
- You will build a robust backend that can scale up to serve many concurrent users;
- You will work on systems like matchmaking, tournaments, clans and leaderboards;
- You will cooperate with game designers to achieve the vision for the game;
- You will work on systems to test and deploy a new server set without downtime;
- You will integrate the game servers with the PlayStation Network and other third party services;
- You will keep up to date with the Java world and introduce new technologies when they are relevant for Guerrilla;
- If you are comfortable with C++, you can help integrate the back end services in the game client;
Who Are You
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Are fluent in Java and are comfortable working on a large code base;
- have a firm grasp on software design and architecture, and enjoy writing code that is both maintainable and performant;
- have a deep understanding of web-related technologies (e.g. HTTP, REST, Message Queuing);
- have strong written and verbal communication skills and a good command of the English language;
- have a helpful, solution minded approach;
- have an interest in online gaming.
If you are up for the challenge, you can apply by hitting the “apply now” button. For more information, please contact Riem Halawani (Studio Recruiter) through email@example.com.
Be sure to submit your CV, Cover letter, and Java code sample(s) where you showcase your best and most recent work. We would love to see code examples showing structured programming and a demo presenting relevant work to the position.