MORE TOMORROW NOW.
Grover’s vision is for more people to get the best out of life – with flexible, affordable access to the tech they want. Our monthly tech rental subscription model is a more sustainable way to use tech – as part of the circular economy.
Grover is growing. Fast. In 5 years, we’ve gone from a small startup based in a Berlin apartment to a team of 200+ people, offering flexible tech rental across Germany, Austria, Spain and The Netherlands. And we’re just getting started. This year, we’re expanding into even more countries and launching even more innovative ways for people to access tech – for them to get more tomorrow now.
Tomorrow’s tech lets us achieve extraordinary things, to experience deeper, work smarter, play harder and live better. So if you want to join us on our mission to get tech into more people’s hands in a simple, smart, sustainable way, we’d love to have you on the team.
We are looking for a Backend Engineer (role creation) to join the Checkout & Integrations team within our Growth & Commercial group as we grow and scale internationally.
Growth & Commercial tech team & mission:
We want our product to be as flexible as Grover itself, and give our users the smoothest ordering experience of their lives. We’re looking for teammates with vision, drive, and an inventive mind to complete our team: we’re hoping to build an entire product portfolio, strengthen our API reliability, improve our monitoring, and reach high accessibility standards.
If you join our team, you’ll primarily help us make flexible and reliable APIs with excellent monitoring and alerting and a robust testing strategy. You’ll like working with us if you enjoy prototyping and building good practices in innovative projects. We acknowledge our trade-offs, follow up on our tech-debt, and focus on learning. On top of our product commitments, we have long-term tech goals and weekly delivery cycles.
Our Software Engineers often describe the projects as complex, but fun. We offer a great engineering culture: our team is still small, we value creativity and knowledge, and we don't take anything for granted!
You can work from our HQ in Berlin, or remotely.
As a Backend Engineer, you will:
- Develop new features working with cross-functional squads, within a distributed team
- Use creative thinking - we are building most of our features from scratch and our product is unique (no competition!)
- Solve complex, but fun, technical challenges.
- Take active part in designing and creating services, APIs, and improvements to existing components
- Actively partner with frontend and data engineers to learn from each other and make well-rounded decisions
- Have space for ownership and to implement your ideas, hone your skills and explore new approaches and technologies
- Participate in the creation of our engineering culture, take part in guilds, knowledge-sharing, and other initiatives to help our entire team do their best work
You care about:
- Ownership: you easily communicate ideas, implement them, and take responsibility for your actions
- Accessibility: you understand that products, concepts and implementation plans should all be accessible and ready for human consumption. Readable APIs and machine-readable UI are both a key part of working for our team.
- Fast-paced startups: you love adapting to different situations, and you know how and when to iterate fast and with high quality
- Our product: you believe in our vision, and are willing to give your best to build the future of Grover
...and you like our tech stack:
- Node.js (NestJS, TypeScript) for our services
- Ruby (Rails) for our eCommerce application
- Data: Postgres, ElasticSearch and Mongo / DocumentDB
- GraphQL and REST APIs
- Messaging: Kafka (Confluent)
- Infrastructure as code: Terraform to maintain our AWS infrastructure (Microservices - ECS with EC2 and Fargate, as well as serverless with API Gateway and Lambda)
We are looking for a passionate teammate with:
- 3+ years of experience as a Software Engineer in complex environments
- Hands-on experience with our tech stack - Ruby (Rails) or NodeJS
- Focus and investment in good architecture and design principles
- Strong knowledge of relational databases, especially PostgreSQL
- Interest in message brokers and event-driven architecture (personal projects or working experience with Kafka are really nice to have)
- Experience with infrastructures using Docker, Infrastructure-as-Code and cloud providers (AWS or GCP)
- Eagerness to grow with the team, experiment with different approaches and learn as we go
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and benefits.
- Flexible working hours combined with a semi-remote work structure. Office? Remote? Figure out the balance that works best for you.
- Entrepreneurial responsibilities and upward career growth.
- Engaging, open office located in central Berlin.
- Diverse global team of 40 nationalities (and counting)! Genuinely the nicest group of colleagues who will soon become friends.
- Team events, Grover tech discounts, and expanding perks.