The Dodo is seeking an experienced digital media storyteller with production and editing experience to help lead our growing team of video editors and execute our expansion into midform social video. The Senior Editor/Manager will produce their own brand-defining video content while also managing several video editors (a pod) and working closely with them through each stage of the production and editing process. This person will be responsible for their pod’s output, performance (social metrics), creative vision and editorial voice, and constantly be working to expand our range of storytelling techniques to new formats and platforms.
To thrive in this role, you’ll need to excel at selecting and sourcing emotionally compelling stories and crafting engaging, memorable narratives that hook viewers immediately and keep them watching until the very end. You will be expected to take your production experience and apply components of it as needed into your team’s workflow: You’ll be responsible for determining which stories require supplemental footage, and helping your video editors produce that content. You love to motivate and inspire a team, deliver timely, direct and rigorous feedback, hold other video editors accountable for their work and use data to figure out strategies for growth. You can also work independently and are ready to spend up to half your time creating exceptional midform social videos from start to finish — sourcing content online, conducting interviews, crafting shot lists (for the videos requiring produced content), scripting and editing a sharable, emotional story.
You and your pod will be responsible for creating highly engaging video content that combines found and original footage for our social platforms, including: Facebook, Facebook Watch, YouTube, Instagram and Twitter. The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media, and be nimble and eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. A passion for finding the heart of the story, a collaborative management style and a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on social media are key.
- Manage a team of several video editors, working closely with them on each video they create and mentoring them through 1:1 check-ins, pod brainstorms and best practices meetings
- Develop processes to ensure that story selection, scripting, editing and packaging of each of your pod’s videos are on-brand and optimized for our social audience
- Serve as a leader on the video team and set an example by producing high-performing and brand-defining videos and implementing what’s needed to help everyone reach that level
- Source compelling stories about animals by mining social media and working with animal organizations
- Help with production elements as needed
- Find the Dodo angle that makes stories shareable through conducting interviews, requesting or shooting more content and crafting an original narrative
- Use video editing techniques and rigorous storytelling to create your own videos that exemplify the Dodo voice and brand
- Use feedback to iterate on content selection and editing techniques, working closely with other editors on the team
- Fill in for other senior members of the team when needed
- Create new best practices, and design and lead training sessions around them
- Be prepared to produce and edit supplementary footage if needed — from storyboarding to final cut
- 5+ years relevant experience editing on Adobe Premiere
- 3+ years of producing digital video content at a media publisher
- 3+ years editorial leadership experience
- Production experience: storyboarding, providing shot lists and communicating with freelance crews
- Extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- Excellent editorial judgment and social search skills
- Able to work independently and also provide leadership and strategic thinking within a close-knit team
- Able to juggle a fast-paced workload alongside management and quality control responsibilities
- Comfortable crafting interview questions to achieve desired creative and conducting interviews to acquire desired soundbites
- Able to conceptualize and then acquire necessary assets to execute on that vision
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative midform video (please provide clips)
- Basic After Effects
- Desire to work for a mission-driven company and a love of animals
- Deep understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.