Thrillist means fun. We're eaters, drinkers, travelers, and doers. We serve the curious and believe that new experiences are what drive the richest lives. We bring our passion, expertise, and taste to bear on the things that are truly worth your time and money. Life is for living, and that’s why we’re here. Today will be great.
Thrillist’s travel team is seeking a staff writer to anchor our coverage of cool stuff to do in different locations all around the world. We take fun quite seriously. You’ll work hard at a job that, at its core, celebrates the right not to spend one’s life grinding away at work. You’ll have enthusiasm for parsing the hard-news and consumer-advocacy aspects of the beat: fuel prices, stock prices, FAA regs, passport rules, currency conversion, byzantine credit card points, frequent flyer programs, whatever the hell a “resort fee” is at a Midtown Manhattan hotel. And you’ll be a paranoiac for nailing facts and details about the places we cover, even as people you meet on your travels encourage you to just relax already.
But you’ll also take big-kid joy in discovering and relaying to millions of monthly readers the most exhilarating, inspiring, worthwhile reasons to go explore the world. Speaking of our audience (get ready to talk about them often, actually): They don’t much care about your trip. Instead, they expect you to care about their trips.They count on you to respect how precious their time and money are when taking a vacation, scouting a cross-country move, or sniffing out the perfect beer bar a mile from their apartment.
This position is based in Thrillist’s SoHo office in New York City.
- Report and write stories in many styles and formats -- news features, enterprise stories, explainers, travelogues, first-person essays -- without resorting to cliches or lapsing into disposable hype
- Generate story ideas, more story ideas after that -- and then, once you think you’re out of ideas, another idea
- Study feedback and data insights from analytics (Chartbeat, Google Analytics, custom reports) to identify the topics our audience cares about most, and then write engaging stories that will drive huge readership via our primary distribution platforms -- Facebook, Google search, and email
- Work across departments, especially with the video department, to come up with ideas both big and small that our audience loves
- 5 years of editorial experience in digital journalism and a bachelor’s degree preferred
- Strong understanding of SEO best practices
- An eagerness to think hard about what specifically motivates people to travel (and how we can inspire them), along with the obstacles they face in doing so (and how we can solve their problems)
- A good eye for photos that capture attention and help inspire people to travel
- A sense of humor. Actually, scratch that. You need at least five different senses of humor, three of which you could actually show your mom
- In this position you’ll be encouraged to travel as much as possible and (this is vital) never miss a deadline as you do -- which means being able to work effectively from hotels, planes, trains, buses, etc
- The ideal candidate will be a crackerjack reporter and storyteller, perhaps able to speak a language in addition to English, with deep and broad travel experience and with an ability (or desire, at least) to shoot credible video in the field
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.