The Dodo is seeking a creative and experienced visual storyteller to join our video team. To thrive in this role, you’ll need to excel at sourcing and crafting an emotionally compelling narrative that hooks viewers immediately and keeps them watching until the very end. You’ll feel comfortable producing a mid- or longer-form social video from start to finish — from sourcing content online to conducting interviews, scripting and structuring a memorable, emotional story. You’ll create engaging video content for our social platforms, including: Facebook, Facebook Watch, Youtube, Instagram and Twitter. The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media, and be nimble and eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. A passion for finding the heart of the story and a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on social media are key.
- Source compelling stories about animals by mining social media and working with animal organizations
- Find the Dodo angle that makes stories sharable through conducting interviews, requesting or producing more content and crafting an original narrative
- Conduct outreach for permissions and log footage
- Use video editing techniques and rigorous storytelling to create several videos a week that exemplify the Dodo voice and brand
- Use feedback to iterate on content selection and editing techniques, working closely with other editors on the team
- 2-4 years relevant experience editing on Adobe Premiere
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative video (please provide clips)
- Basic After Effects a plus
- Desire to work for a mission driven company and a love of animals
- Extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- Able to work independently and also exchange feedback with a close-knit team
- Deep understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
About The Dodo:
The Dodo is an NYC-based digital media start-up committed to creating entertaining, meaningful animal-related stories – we cover everything from viral videos and animal behavior to rescue stories and advocacy efforts. Our goal at The Dodo is to deliver the most emotionally and visually compelling, sharable animal stories and videos to the biggest number of readers possible to help make caring about animals a viral cause. We are looking for passionate, flexible people who are interested in growing a start-up that we hope will make the world a better place for animals. We offer competitive pay, medical insurance, and perks like working from home Fridays.
Office culture and work-life balance are very important to us, and bringing your dog to work is encouraged! Our team is made up of enthusiastic, ambitious people who like to help animals and have fun in the process. The Dodo is a Group Nine Media brand in partnership with Discovery Communications, Thrillist, and NowThis.
*Please note that this is a temp to perm role, and applications without a cover letter and link to relevant creative works will not be considered!
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.