The Dodo is looking for a strong, self-driven Staff Writer to join its growing team. This writer will work with The Dodo editors to produce the emotional, fun and impactful stories that make readers love animals. Our ideal candidate will have outstanding writing and reporting skills, an ability to work quickly and independently and an intuitive grasp of what makes a visually driven story succeed on social media. This person will work closely with the team out of our New York office.
- Pitch and write 2+ articles per day, from quick news hits to longer investigative pieces
- Ensure all written content is engaging and conversational, built around an emotional core
- Develop systems for digging through social media and cultivate relationships with rescue groups and other partners to catch the next big story before it happens
- Work with video editors to figure out new ways to tell Dodo stories in video form
- 2+ years experience writing for a digital media company
- Excellent writing and reporting skills
- A great eye for finding stories that are shareable and packaging them for social media
- A solid understanding of The Dodo brand and mission
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals & activism (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.