We’re looking for a temporary Commerce Writer to join Thrillist within Group Nine Media! As a member of the Editorial team, you’ll report to the Editorial Director of Commerce. You’ll help brainstorm, research, and write fresh commerce-oriented stories, and deliver fun, engaging, and serviceable content to our audience.
The perfect candidate will have experience writing commerce-oriented content, be familiar with and curious about core Thrillist coverage categories like food, drink, and travel, and possess the ability to develop whip-smart ideas into engaging, shoppable stories. You will also be comfortable working in a dynamic environment with tight deadlines and ambitious output and other KPI goals.
What you’ll do:
- Research, curate, write, and build multiple stories per day, frequently interviewing expert sources to add authority to our recommendations, all while nailing the Thrillist voice and tone
- Research, brainstorm, and pitch new stories for a variety of formats, using consumer trends and audience data to inform ideas
- Collaborate and assist Commerce editors on larger projects when needed
- Work closely with the art department to ensure every story is visually supported and packaged appropriately
Success will look like:
- This role requires strong organizational skills and the ability to seamlessly shift priorities when necessary
- Staying on deadline while juggling multiple stories at various stages of completion
- Communicating with other editorial teams to identify and pursue opportunities for cross-collaboration
- A knack for identifying and tracking down the perfect source or expert for any story
- At least two years digital media writing experience, ideally in a commerce-oriented capacity; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Exceptional writing, copyediting, and fact-checking skills
- A familiarity with SEO best practices
- A genuine curiosity for most if not all of Thrillist’s core coverage areas (Food, Drink, Travel, Adventure, and beyond)
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink and travel brand for Gen Z and Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences and long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world and celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR and Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.