Thrillist is looking for an Art Director to bring their visual magic to our creative team. The Creative Team at Thrillist develops the design, style and spirit of every Thrillist-led initiative across editorial, photo, social, video, and experiences. Your role would be the second in command to the Creative Director, overseeing all editorial art direction, mentoring junior staff and driving the creative vision forward. You are a hawkeye for detail, typography obsessee, and passionate about palettes. You understand brand building for a publication, but can also think beyond the article. You are digitally focused and have worked on websites, video and social campaigns; and also have some experience in print or experiential design. Most importantly, you love culture! Learning about the latest in food, drink, and travel and understanding the cultural context and impact behind these trends inspires you. You are not just a designer, you are visual storyteller.
The Art Director will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nine’s values - Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close and Win Together.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Work with editors to bring their stories to life through innovative artwork that takes advantage of the platform
- Build custom editorial experiences for key tentpoles and franchises
- Work closely with the director of photography to style shoots and utilize photos in media
- Oversee graphic designers creating day to day article art
- Track sponsored editorial campaigns which include article and promotional art
- Find and hire freelancers when necessary to support projects
- Contribute to the brand’s overall aesthetic style
- Work with the creative director on experiences, merch, and key events
- Work closely with the product and tech teams to create new tools, tech and site updates that constantly improve Thrillist
- Inspire the world to eat, drink, and travel like a pro
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Strong relationships with Thrillist editors, social media team and video producers
- Being a source of endless inspiration for other members of the creative team
- Ability to build a cohesive, yet wide-ranging brand aesthetic
- Working relationships with freelancers and program vendors
- Always learning about new programs that can expand our creative options
- Timely production of art for all projects
- Ability to take meetings independently and report back to creative director with recommendations
- Ability to identify designer’s strengths and maximize them
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a design-based role is required. Publishing, digital media or agency experience preferred
- 2+ years of people management experience is required
- Mastery of most creative suite programs
- Some motion graphics ability required
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving attitude
- Appreciation for food drink, travel and culture
Why Work at Group Nine:
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted. We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink and travel brand for Gen Z and Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences and long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world and celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR and Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.