Thrillist is looking for an energetic editor to join our news team and produce timely, fast-moving stories in Thrillist’s core coverage areas of food, drink, and travel, with a focus on New York City. The ideal candidate is someone who knows how content on the internet works and how people find and read stories across various platforms every day. You have an ability to spot and assign big stories before they blow up, advance stories with new angles, and oversee the publication of several stories per day. You’ll need to be a subject matter expert in all things NYC, but also a generalist capable of writing and editing stories about everything from new restaurants to travel restrictions. You’ll be based in our NYC office and report to the Editorial Director, News.
We value writing that is clean, clear, and useful to our audience, and we strive to be funny at the right times without trying too hard or being snarky. An editor in this role should work within the Thrillist brand framework, making important editorial decisions without a ton of minute-to-minute oversight. The best candidate will have a good understanding of how every story should be packaged and optimized for distribution on social, search, and newsletters.
Strong journalistic instincts and an eye for good reporting is equally important. We’re seeking someone who isn’t afraid to pick up the phone to chase down a fact check or go the extra mile to get an important story across the finish line. This person should also be eager to experiment with new topics and coverage areas, using data to help guide decisions based on learnings. They should be excited about mentoring staff writers without being anyone’s direct manager while assisting the Editorial Director of the vertical with higher-level planning.
The Assistant Editor will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nine’s values—Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close, and Win Together.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Edit 3-4 (typically 250-600 words), informative, punchy news stories every day.
- Write 1-2 (typically 250-600 words) of these stories per day in addition to editing.
- Use solid news judgment and editorial instincts to produce stories that align with the values of our site, and also attract large audiences, particularly on Facebook and via search.
- Write, edit, and fact-check copy, following our team’s process checklist.
- Source quality images and video that perfectly reflect each story's content.
- Use third-party listening tools, but also devise your own unique and creative paths for finding the very best stories out there. This includes building and maintaining a strong rapport with sources.
- Devote consistent time to launching experimental coverage topics, tracking how they perform, then using those learnings to inform future plans.
- Seek out and cultivate working relationships with trusted sources to enrich your coverage with expert authority and the heads-up on big news.
- Use traffic data and insights to identify story opportunities and guide coverage.
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Editing and publishing 3 or more stories written by a Staff Writer and freelancers every day.
- Contributing at least 1 story of your own every day to the team’s coverage.
- Providing in-the-moment editing feedback to the Staff Writer and mentor them with tips, advice, and tools to improve over time.
- Publishing stories drafts that are 100% free of factual errors, using our in-house style guide.
- Regularly applying insights and other lessons gleaned from story traffic performance when evaluating potential stories to write, brainstorming ideas.
- Finding, assigning, and writing stories that bring in significant traffic and contribute to our team’s ambitious goals.
- Contributing to larger projects across the department in addition to fulfilling your daily duties.
- 5+ years of editorial experience in digital media, including at least 3 years of editing experience and 2+ years of writing experience for a competitive digital publisher.
- A fast news metabolism and an analytical mind. You jump on stories quickly and are always looking for the next big story.
- Fundamental understanding of SEO best practices and an eagerness to learn more.
- An interest in storytelling across genres (explainers, narrative, Q&As, etc.) and platforms (written, video, social, etc.).
- An eagerness to do the reporting that brings fresh, original angles to stories.
- A demonstrated talent for news analysis.
- Enthusiasm for mentoring writers who are early on in their careers.
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends, holidays, or whenever assigned.
- A constant commitment to producing and overseeing tight, clean copy.
- A strong understanding of how content on the internet works.
- Experience translating traffic data and insights into learnings.
Why Work at Group Nine:
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted. We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink and travel brand for Gen Z and Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences and long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world and celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR and Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.