We’re looking for a New York based Staff Writer to join Thrillist, within Group Nine Media. As a member of the News team, you’ll cover the timely, fast-moving stories in Thrillist’s core coverage areas of food, drink, and travel. The ideal candidate is someone who is very plugged into the NY scene and knows how content on the internet works and how people find and read stories across various platforms every day. You have an ability to spot big stories before they blow up, advance stories with new reporting, and add meaningful contributions to the conversation. A particular interest in at least one of our coverage areas is preferred, though you’ll also need to be a generalist capable of writing stories about everything from the latest stunt foods from Taco Bell to, say, how to watch the next major meteor shower. You’ll be based in our NYC office and report to the Editorial Director, News.
We value writing that is clean, clear, and useful to our audience, and we strive to strike the right tone by being funny at the right times without trying too hard or being snarky. A writer in this role must also be willing to not only accept constructive feedback and editing, but also utilize it to improve over time. Additionally, they should have the ability to work within the Thrillist brand framework, making important editorial decisions without a ton of minute-to-minute oversight. The best candidate will have a good understanding of how every story should be packaged and optimized for distribution on social, search, and newsletters.
Good reporting is equally important. We’re seeking someone who isn’t afraid to pick up the phone to chase down a detail that everyone else has overlooked. This person should also be hungry to own a beat by cultivating sources, paying close and consistent attention to specific coverage areas, and being first to the best stories. They should constantly seek out trusted sources for their beats and build relationships with them to bring additional authority to our coverage.
The Staff Writer will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nine’s values—Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close, and Win Together.
A TYPICAL WEEK LOOKS LIKE:
- Write 3-4 (typically 250-600 words), informative, punchy news stories every day.
- Use solid news judgment and editorial instincts to create stories that align with the values of our site, and also attract large audiences, particularly on Facebook and via search.
- Write clean and factual copy, following our process checklist.
- Source quality images and video that perfectly reflect each story's content.
- Use third-party listening tools, but also devise your own unique and creative paths for finding, reporting, and telling the very best stories out there. This includes building and maintaining a strong rapport with sources.
- Devote consistent attention and reporting on subjects and take ownership of beats within our key coverage areas.
- Seek out and cultivate working relationships with trusted sources to enrich your coverage with expert authority and the heads-up on big news.
- Use traffic data and insights to identify story opportunities and guide your coverage.
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Consistently meeting and sometimes exceeding the three-story output expectation.
- Turning in story drafts that are 100% free of factual errors, follow our in-house style guide, and require little-to-no copy editing.
- Regularly applying insights and other lessons gleaned from story traffic performance when evaluating potential stories to write, brainstorming ideas.
- Finding and writing stories that bring in significant traffic and contribute to our team’s ambitious goals.
- Contributing to larger projects across the department in addition to fulfilling your daily duties.
THE NEXT GREAT STAFF WRITER WILL HAVE:
- Bachelor's degree and at least 2 years of writing experience for a competitive digital publisher.
- A fast news metabolism and an analytical mind. You jump on news quickly and are always looking for the next big story.
- Fundamental understanding of SEO best practices and an eagerness to learn more.
- An interest in storytelling across genres (explainers, narrative, Q&As, etc.) and platforms (written, video, social, etc.).
- An eagerness to do the reporting that brings fresh, original angles to stories.
- A demonstrated talent for news analysis.
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends, holidays, or whenever assigned.
- A constant commitment to writing tight, clean copy.
- A strong understanding of how content on the internet works.
- Experience translating traffic data and insights into learnings.
Why Work at Group Nine:
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted. We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink and travel brand for Gen Z and Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences and long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world and celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR and Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.