We’re looking for a temporary (part-time) Commerce Editor to join Thrillist within Group Nine Media! As a member of the Editorial team, you’ll report to the Editorial Director of Commerce. You’ll help manage day-to-day workflow, develop and shape fresh commerce-oriented story ideas, and serve our audience fun, engaging, and serviceable stories.
The perfect candidate will have experience writing and editing commerce-oriented content, a familiarity with and curiosity about core Thrillist categories like food, drink, and travel, and the ability to oversee multiple projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment. You will also have experience navigating the ecosystem of affiliate networks, using data to interpret consumer habits and trends, and understand how best to optimize a story’s format to maximize engagement and conversion.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll work with a stable of staff writers and freelancers to develop fresh ideas, tap expert sources, curate roundups, and nail the Thrillist voice and tone
- Brainstorm, assign, and edit stories in a variety of formats
- Develop and maintain relationships with a trusted network of freelancers and category experts
- Collaborate with the art department to ensure every story is visually supported and packaged appropriately
Success will look like:
- This role requires exceptional organizational skills and masterful multi-tasking. You’ll be expected to run point on projects that range in scope and subject matter on tight and changing timelines
- Staying on top of consumer trends and spending habits
- Using data and analytics to better understand our audience and inform content strategy
- Growing our network of freelancers and guest experts to add authority to everything we publish
- At least 3 years of experience in digital media, with experience writing and/or editing commerce content in the food, drink, lifestyle, or travel space; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Exceptional writing, copyediting, and fact-checking skills
- Strong grasp of SEO best practices
- A genuine curiosity for most if not all of Thrillist’s core coverage categories (Food, Drink, Travel, Adventure, and beyond)
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink and travel brand for Gen Z and Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences and long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world and celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR and Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.