GROUP NINE is seeking a talented, hard-working, innovative, pixel-perfect Senior Visual Designer to join our creative team in New York. The Senior Designer will be responsible for creating unique and compelling designs for a large range of projects, verticals, and brand franchises. This person will work closely with other designers, art directors, and cross-functional teams to achieve design goals across all projects. This role is dedicated to a special partnership between GROUP NINE, L'ORÉAL USA, and L'ORÉAL PARIS.
GROUP NINE is a fun, fast-paced environment, where every day is different. We’re looking for a Senior Designer that is passionate and ready to jump in and be creative!
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for designing visually engaging, innovative and functional editorial assets across Makeup.com, Skincare.com and Beauty Magazine, as well as their corresponding social media platforms.
- Create pixel perfect assets based on the submitted design brief such as:
- Social Media Content (Instagram/Instagram Stories, Facebook, etc)
- Dedicated Emails
- Assets for Homepage Modules and Carousels
- Google Slides Deck Design
- Content for Sweepstakes and Giveaway Landing Pages
- Crop and retouch daily homepage assets including stock, original photography and custom designed product round-ups.
- Coordinate design delivery across all sites and social, supporting the Art Director and Associate Creative Director to ensure that work gets delivered on time and to a high standard.
- Stay on top of current and emerging design trends when ideating for sites and social.
- Responsible for concepting and implementing new brand franchises across all editorial sites and their corresponding social media platforms.
- Collaborate and communicate with the editorial team and junior designers regarding design assets and article design ideas.
- Follow and maintain brand identity characteristics such as the typography, color palette, and design treatments for each brand.
- Keep working files organized and follow best practices for file prepping/delivery.
- Source and collaborate with freelance illustrators and designers, working with the Associate Creative Producer to manage the design direction and workflow of contracted work.
IDEA GENERATION AND TEAMWORK:
- Inspire other designers through creativity, action and mentorship.
- Attend weekly creative meetings, brainstorms and design reviews.
- Take design direction from the Art Director and Associate Creative Director to improve visual composition
- Contribute new ideas for design treatments, planning, and strategy with the team
- Passion for photography and strong eye for composition
- Interest in beauty, culture, fashion, and lifestyle
- Professional and collaborative communication style across teams
- REQUIRED: Portfolio featuring examples of digital and print work. NOTE: Any candidates that do not provide a portfolio link (or PDF) will automatically be rejected
- 3-5 years of experience in graphic design for advertising, editorial, brand, or a media company
- Passionate about design and committed to making beautiful work!
- Exceptional work ethic and attention to detail
- Excellent typography/composition skills. Hand lettering and/or illustration skills are a plus!
- Strong time management skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in Adobe Suite and Google Slides
- Ability to stay ahead of trends and adapt to ever-changing digital landscape
- Experience working with beauty brands (and an overall love for all things beauty + fashion) is a plus!
Why Work at Group Nine:
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
About Group Nine:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.