The Creative Strategist role on the Group9 Creative Strategy team calls for a quick-witted, forward-thinking creative with the unique ability to fill the gap between multiple parties, platforms, brands and objectives — with sharp, original, creative solutions. The role requires a hyper-collaborative, highly-energetic individual with the capacity to think on their feet and operate with effective, superior written and verbal communication skills.
A key player on the fast-growing team, their core responsibilities will include carving out creative solutions and innovations across Group9’s Brand portfolio (POPSUGAR, The Dodo, Thrillist, Seeker, NowThis). These include but are not limited to: content and products including Editorial, Experiential, Social, Video and Tech. With a talent for seeking out new formats, platforms and storylines, this individual is immersed in the digital media world in a way that allows them to consistently bring new solutions to the table, specifically designed to help grow the scope and quality of Group9’s creative capabilities across the board in today's ultra fast-paced digital marketing landscape.
Deep Understanding and Passion For MultiCultural Markets + Demographics: You have a strong background in, interest, and experience in the Multicultural marketplace. You’re on the pulse of multiple cultures, immersed in diverse communities and are able to identify real-time cultural trends, behaviors and passions across the cultural landscape.
Focus markets including but not limited to: Black, Latinx, APA, and LGBTQIA audiences (at least two segments ideal)
Competitive, Trend Hunting (Social) & Storytelling: Your social chops are on point - your friends turn to you for the latest and greatest of what’s happening on the Internet and every existing and emerging platform.
Creative Writing: From a 360 campaign idea to a video treatment to writing pithy copy for a product, event, app, or other marketing initiative, you’re an agile creative writer.
Content Development: You’re a media-agnostic creative who can ideate in terms of integrated advertising campaigns, short and long form content, experiential/events, product design, outdoor/digital installations, and any and everything else. The world is truly your canvas.
Innovation: You can think beyond content to break the mold and blur the lines between advertising, content, technology, interactive experiences… and beyond.
Insights Analysis: You’re a creative and a strategist. You understand the value of insights and you can leverage these insights to create a unique story across any format.
Responsibilities and key accountabilities:
- Lead creative development and ideation for RFPs in partnership with Sales, Marketing & Account Strategy
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with many departments to ensure work is done in a timely manner and deadlines are met
- Present multicultural strategies to clients in partnership with Sales
- Create 360 programs across the brand portfolio, for a multitude of advertisers, many with a multicultural focus
- Collaborate with Marketing and Sales teams on strategic thinking and planning for key accounts
- Utilize Group9 data (from our Insights and research team) and qualitative insights from competitors, to create unconventional content ideas and strategies
- Utilize tools and data to ideate, develop and implement proactive campaigns with a multicultural lens across a varied list of content verticals
- Develop a broad understanding of all G9 Brands: assets, platforms, and products
- 5+ years copywriting experience. Advertising/Brand, Branded Content, or Editorial writing experience, with a portfolio to share. Mix of publisher and brand/agency experience a plus.
- Some experience in working in collaborative sales processes, including the interaction required in an advertising sales environment
- Proven ability to formulate and execute branded content strategy with a culture lens
- Proven and tested ability to juggle multiple projects, deal with multiple personalities, and maintain a positive attitude through it all
- Strong understanding of how to translate the long-term business objectives of advertisers into solutions that could be provided by G9
- Have the ability to evangelize Creative Strategy to internal stakeholders and clients
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
About Group Nine:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, January 2021]; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand globally on social [Tubular, January 2021]; POPSUGAR, the no. 1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site globally [Comscore, September 2020]; Thrillist, the no. 1 food, drink and travel brand for Gen Z and Millennials [Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020]; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Oscars, Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.