We’re looking for a Director, Corporate Development with proven financial, M&A and strategic skills and a strong interest in the digital media industry to join Group Nine’s Corporate Development team. As a member of the Corporate Development team, you’ll have the opportunity to source and lead deals and strategic initiatives - and help shape the strategic agenda for the company. You’ll be based in our New York office and report to our SVP Corporate Development.
The Director, Corporate Development will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nine’s values - Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close and Win Together.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Analyze market trends, identify opportunities for growth and recommend investments based on understanding of G9’s strategic priorities
- Develop and manage detailed financial & valuation analyses, deal approval presentations and negotiations for corporate development initiatives, such as acquisitions, joint ventures, new business launches and divestitures
- Develop and monitor pipeline of potential M&A and partnership opportunities
- Lead due diligence and work with internal teams and external legal and financial advisors in structuring transactions
- Actively participate in key corporate strategic planning processes, working across businesses and functions to frame the corporate strategy and drive alignment and execution on key initiatives
- Partner with senior executives in defining and driving complex, cross-functional strategic initiatives that impact all aspects of the business and organization
- Collaborate with leadership and multi-functional teams to conduct analysis, craft messaging, and create deliverables for board meetings and key stakeholder updates
- Formulate and prepare presentations to share findings and recommendations for divisional and senior management critical to the decision-making process
- Proactively identify opportunities for growth and investment
- Perform company portfolio optimization analyses
- Conduct ad-hoc analyses at the request of senior executives
- Manage corporate development staff as the team grows
- Minimum 6 years of work experience in investment banking, VC, private equity, corporate development or consulting
- Knowledge of strategic due diligence, mergers and acquisitions, media landscape, direct to consumer digital landscape, media network financial models, and contracts
- Strong interest in the media and/or entertainment industry and understanding of business operations
- B.S / B.A. required; MBA preferred
- Skilled in strategic analysis, valuation, financial forecasting, negotiations, communications (written and verbal), coordination of projects
- Ability to recognize factors critical to the organization’s long-term success, ask the right questions to analyze situations, carefully define the problem, leverage data and insights, solicit multiple points of view, and articulate views in a clear and concise manner
- Proven ability to manage projects from beginning to completion, ‘can-do’ attitude
- Proven self-starter and independent problem-solving ability with sense to understand implications of work and probe more deeply when presented with inconsistent or interesting findings
- Ability to work in a team and on a standalone basis
- Ability to develop a collaborative rapport with divisional executives and teams
- Proficiency with MS Office applications including Excel and PowerPoint
Why Work at Group Nine:
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
About Group Nine:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.