The Dodo is seeking an experienced Product Development Lead to sit at the forefront of our new pet products category. As the most engaged with digital publisher in the world across social media, The Dodo has built a massive, loyal fan base of pet parents who trust us with the wellbeing of animals. In this newly created role, you will lead the design, technical and operational elements of product development of brand new pet care products that solve everyday problems with an animal-first approach in mind.
As the product lead, you will be instrumental in developing a creative vision for these products with a competitive advantage that builds upon the trust of The Dodo brand. We will leverage your expertise in design to focus on premium quality and functionality -- with the objective of becoming a trusted leader in pet care.
Your experience bringing products from conception to production will be key as you create, design, and source materials to bring the best quality products to pets. We’ll look to you to build out highly informed timelines and manage the end-to-end development and production process by working with manufacturing partners to assure the highest level of quality.
- Product Design:
- Lead design efforts and utilize your design experience to guide and execute the long-term creative vision for The Dodo’s new pet product portfolio.
- Lead the design of pet essentials, apparel and accessories for our licensed collection and private label line.
- Leverage The Dodo’s social community tools in partnership with social community manager to gather community product feedback during the design process.
- Product Portfolio Strategy:
- Develop and execute pet product portfolio strategy to build the brand, maximize customer happiness, revenue and margin.
- Collaborate with our licensing and business development teams to plan private label and licensed merchandise collections.
- Product Development:
- Manage product development timelines inclusive of sourcing, sampling, compliance, QC validation and purchase order. Communicate timelines cross-functionally.
- Lead technical activities in product development, collaborate with external specialists and manufacturers from concept through sample approval for pet apparel and accessories.
- Own the long-term strategy and vision for new product innovation, product life cycle management, operating plans and execution.
- Manage relationships with suppliers throughout the product design and development process. Consider cost, selection of quality materials, production methods, safety, sustainability, and business strategy.
- Brand development:
- Partner with brand and marketing team to build a cohesive creative vision for the product line.
- Partner with the social community manager to incorporate The Dodo audience into the product development process.
- Product Design:
- Bachelors in Design, Illustration, Product Design, Industrial Design, or similar field
- 5+ years experience bringing products from design to production
- Passion for dogs and dog wellness is a must
- Experience in fashion, product design, designing gear or apparel
- Experience in petcare a plus
- Strong command of graphic/industrial design tools
- Experience managing freelance resources
- Knowledge of consumer market research techniques
How to apply:
- Portfolios are welcome
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted. We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
About The Dodo
The Dodo is the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019], and the most engaged media brand globally across all content genres [Tubular Labs, May 2020]. We tell fun, entertaining, emotional stories about animals that make people laugh, cry happy tears, feel ALL the feels, and fall in love with animals. In December 2016, The Dodo joined forces with NowThis, Thrillist and Seeker to form Group Nine Media — the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020].
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.