We’re looking for a Director of Physical Production to join POPSUGAR, within Group Nine Media! As a member of the video/audio team, you’ll be leading the physical production team, process, and projects across all editorial and sponsored video and audio formats. You’ll be based in our Culver City, CA office and report to the Executive Producer. This role will be responsible for building and managing a small full time team, as well as freelancers.
The Director of Physical Production will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nine’s values - Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close and Win Together.
POPSUGAR is looking for a Director of Physical Production to be a key stakeholder in rapidly building and elevating the output of video and audio across all social and digital platforms. The right candidate will have a strong background in line production, team operations/process, budgeting, and will have a proven ability to oversee end-to-end production across all content categories.
This role will be instrumental in reestablishing POPSUGAR as a best-in-class video operation that’s able to simultaneously attract substantial viewership and recognition throughout the digital publishing landscape.
WHAT YOU’LL DO?
- Work directly with the Executive Producer to create overall video/podcast and special platforms annual budget and content production schedule
- Building workflows and systems for tracking, actualizing budget for all productions, internal and external
- Assure all releases, permits, and legal clearances are being properly captured and archived
- Assist Studio team in scoping for all forms of video content, balancing between the needs for outstanding creative execution and fiscal discipline
- Represent POPSUGAR high professional standards with all external hires, networks, vendors, crews, and partnerships
- Oversee the production of multiple projects at a time if/when there is project spill over
- Design, Build, and Direct oversight of the full production team
- Determine process efficiencies and production quality standards of all internal and external shoots
- Act as key liaison between finance, legal, creative, post production and studios on all editorial productions, development projects as well as select branded initiatives
- Oversee the gathering, submitting, tracking, and payment of invoices for all freelancers and vendors
- Create & constantly grow a rolodex of freelancers at all positions and rate levels, keeping quality the utmost indicator
- In select situations, being present on-set to ensure quality production
- Bring enthusiasm around growing the team and developing more junior members
- Design and manage process with creative, post production, and distribution teams
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- A flexible, creative approach to problem solving in all stages of production
- Ability to work effectively within the constraints of mid to low production budgets
- A high quality standard of production value and talent
- Rapidly increasing editorial video and audio output and internal systems
THE NEXT GREAT DIRECTOR OF PHYSICAL PRODUCTION OF WILL HAVE:
- 8+ years in the live-action line production role across variety of production scales
- 3+ years managing a team of producers (preferably at a digital media publisher, agency, or brand)
- Well versed in licensing, union, permitting, and all legal production requirements
- Experience working across departments at a large organization
- Experience seeing projects from concept through delivery
- Must be a strong and effective team player
- Strong leadership skills and enjoy mentoring upcoming talent
- Conversant with production process, equipment, and software
- Conversant with or quickly able to learn project management applications like Slack, Airtable, and Wrike.
- Comfortable traveling for select shoots, if necessary
- Strong negotiation skills
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
POPSUGAR is the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. according to Comscore [Comscore, February 2020]. The company reaches young women through its positive and purpose-driven content across multiple platforms, spanning entertainment, fashion, beauty, fitness, parenting, and more. POPSUGAR reaches 1 in 2 Millennial women in the United States and leads all women’s lifestyle publishers in user engagement [Comscore & Platform Analytics, 2019]. In November 2019, POPSUGAR joined Group Nine Media, the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S., and home to The Dodo, NowThis, Thrillist and Seeker [Nielsen DCR, June 2020].
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.