We’re looking for a Political Correspondent to join NowThis, within Group Nine Media. As a critical member of our politics team, you are passionate about telling stories around the issues beyond the headlines. You will not only report on the most pressing political stories of the day, but you will also enterprise thought-provoking pieces and conduct interviews with newsmakers and key stakeholders. This position is based in Washington, DC.
The political correspondent will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nine’s values - Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close and Win Together.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Pitch daily story ideas, from breaking news to originals
- Research, script, and edit powerful and revealing politics videos on a daily basis
- Conduct interviews with activists, candidates, lawmakers, and issue stakeholders
- Work closely with producer to create the most compelling videos for a social media audience
- Cultivate relationships with lawmakers, activists, and newsmakers
- Identify stories with a strong visual element
- Find creative visual ways to tell important stories that may not inherently have a strong visual element
- Write scripts that are factually accurate, journalistically fair, consistent with NowThis S&P, and demonstrates strong storytelling and stylistic polish
- Manage priorities and workload effectively to meet deadlines daily.
- Work closely with the politics supervising producer to ideate and execute long term editorial goals, event planning, third party partnership obligations, and more.
- Take a proactive role in helping to shape editorial goals on secondary and emerging platforms, such as TikTok, YouTube, or Instagram.
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Consistently delivers thoughtfully presented pieces on the biggest issues that our audience cares about, to help them better understand and become engaged in a way that can result in positive change.
- Prior reporting experience working in a fast-paced newsroom
- Strong contacts in DC political circles
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere
- Strong research, writing, and storytelling abilities
- Knowledgeable about the political issues of the day and who the power players are
- Strong understanding of American civics (how a bill becomes a law, how different branches of government function, etc.)
- Scrupulously attentive to factual detail
- Be a team player who will pitch stories that excite them, but work with equal diligence on stories that may be outside their usual area of interest.
- Prior experience in factual storytelling, whether journalism, documentary filmmaking, or some other format.
- Genuine enthusiasm for short form video as a medium and for covering daily stories in a 24/7 news cycle.
- Familiarity with the style, voice, and values of NowThis as a digital outlet.
- Possess the ability to balance multiple competing projects, of varying length or deadlines.
- Experience cultivating original sources; securing all necessary legal clearances & releases from subjects, locations, and/or third party licensors.