POPSUGAR is looking for a hard-working, fast-moving, internet-obsessed Assistant Trending Editor to join our Trending and Viral Features team. As a member of the Trending team, you’ll work Saturday through Wednesday, fully owning the trending news cycle on weekends and partnering with the rest of the team during the week. Our ideal candidate is a lifestyle and pop culture enthusiast with a smart, fun voice and a healthy habit of checking Instagram and Twitter every 30 seconds. If you care about telling diverse stories, are the first to spot a trend in the making, and live on Reddit and TikTok, we want to talk to you! This position can be based in our NY, SF, or LA offices and will report to the Sr. Editor, Trending and Viral Features.
The Assistant Editor will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nine’s values - Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close and Win Together.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Scour the web on a regular basis to uncover new trending topics and pre-viral trends, with a heavy focus on search-optimized content
- Produce timely, clickable stories based on trending topics, using own research and as assigned by site editors and trending editors
- Create thoughtful, in-depth seasonal and themed features based on team and network brainstorms
- Consider analytics and previous successes to pitch strategic, winning story ideas
- Support editors with trending content creation during special events, including award shows and Fashion Week, working quickly and cleanly in real time
- Send daily trending digest emails to editorial team, curating the most relevant trending content on the web
- Follow a wide range of trending topics to identify opportunities to spotlight multicultural stories and talent
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Exercising sound judgment on weekend coverage, resulting in content that drives traffic and engagement
- Producing new pieces of standout original content each day
- Working well autonomously on the weekends, and collaboratively with the team during the week
- Bringing new, intersectional perspectives and passions to PS with original, impactful content
- 2-3 years of experience in digital media, writing/editing, or a related field
- A healthy obsession with social media
- Super strong writing and communication skills
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
- The ability to stay ahead of trends and adapt to new and changing tasks and priorities on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis
- A proven interest in and dedication to covering broad viewpoints, cultures, and experiences
- A familiarity with and passion for the POPSUGAR brand
- HTML and Photoshop skills are a plus
- Must be willing and able to work weekend and evening hours
- Experience optimizing content for search
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
POPSUGAR is the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. according to Comscore [Comscore, February 2020]. The company reaches young women through its positive and purpose-driven content across multiple platforms, spanning entertainment, fashion, beauty, fitness, parenting, and more. POPSUGAR reaches 1 in 2 Millennial women in the United States and leads all women’s lifestyle publishers in user engagement [Comscore & Platform Analytics, 2019]. In November 2019, POPSUGAR joined Group Nine Media, the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S., and home to The Dodo, NowThis, Thrillist and Seeker [Nielsen DCR, June 2020].
About Group Nine:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.