We’re looking for a highly motivated Senior Editor to join the NowThis Web team, within Group Nine Media! The ideal candidate must have experience editing in media, publishing, or a comparable field, a strong knowledge of the AP Stylebook, the ability to deliver under extremely tight publishing deadlines, as well as impeccable news judgement and communication skills. Experience working with Airtable, Slack, and Frame.io, or similar video review/collaboration software, is also a valuable plus.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, responsibilities include: editing news-driven, web-based articles for accuracy and solidity of story structure, overseeing the accuracy and quality of text-on-screen videos related to news, politics, culture & lifestyle, and other current events.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
The Senior Editor’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Managing Editor to select and shape impactful, highly relevant, and topical enterprise stories, and then assign them to the writing team to meet daily article quota.
- Verify factual accuracy of information such as dates, statistics, and details relevant to story/video topics.
- Check all text for style, readability, and adherence to editorial policies and best practices.
- Demonstrate expertise, precision, and the ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced digital news environment.
- Proofread text and correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors across written.
- Communicate effectively and thoroughly with all team members throughout the pitching, proofing, and publishing process.
- Work with the Managing Editor to pitch and create special projects such as cross-platform editorial collaborations and sales-related deliverables.
- 5 + years of editorial experience at a media or online publishing company
- Excellent editing, writing, and grammatical skills
- The ability to exercise strong news judgment
- The ability to work independently while delegating editorial priorities to meet deadlines and output goals
- Experience working in a deadline-driven professional environment
- Familiarity with the style, voice, and values of NowThis as a digital outlet
- Foreign language skills are a bonus but not required